Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build wont boot up

• Please log in to reply

mr.kickstart

mr.kickstart

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I am putting together a new build which is about my 3rd or 4th build, I put it all together and turned it on, it beeped once and posted just fine, i went to install xp and it had almost finished installing when I got the blue screen saying windows had shut down because of a problem etc. I tried again and the same happened, I have tried a few different discs all with the same result.

I then removed the hard-drive from my own computer which runs Windows 7 and inserted it and nothing happened, the machine posted but nothing after that, I have reset the default setting in bios, removed the cmos battery, tried removing one piece of ram at a time but nothing works. The PSU is not the most powerful but it still should have plenty for this build as the cpu is not over-clocked.

The Spec is:
Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L with Inbuilt graphics http://www.ebuyer.com/product/152225
Core 2 Quad q6600
4GB Kingston 6400
Arctic Power 500W PSU http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124922

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hey mate, have you run memory diagnostics? HDD diagnostics?

mr.kickstart

mr.kickstart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
no I have not run either but the memory seems fine, as I say I nearly had windows installed so I don't think I would make it that far with no ram, also I have tried 3 different hard-drives in it, I am 100% certain 2 of these are working fine and have no reason to believe there is any problem with the other one. I also tried to install windows 7 and that wouldnt install

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
taking hard drives from other computers will not work unless you format them in the process of installing windows...
another tip...when installing windows for the first time ...DO NOT USE THE QUICK FORMAT option

mr.kickstart

mr.kickstart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I tried it with a different hard drive, which I formatted, it was also formatted the other day but it still wont work. When installing xp just as it is saying registering components it goes on me every time.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
possible causes...
to much or to little thermal paste...
heatsink not attached properly
bad or psu not up to the task...
bad ram...or incompatible ram
over heating...
bad or scratched cd...
HD cable
cd drive faulty...or cd cable bad
the only things connected during the install should be the monitor...keyboard and mouse...PS/2 style
no PCI cards installed except video card...
mobo standoffs in wrong positions...

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you could get the error number of your BSOD it would help.

mr.kickstart

mr.kickstart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
It is not overheating, i checked the cpu temp in bios and it was only in the 30's, heatsink is on perfectly, thermal paste is fine, i have tried about 5 different discs when installing windows so i doubt its that, standoffs are in the right place. i am going to try again with different cables and a different dvd drive. ill also note the error number as im sure it will happen again. When windows was installing the heatsink fan was on full and no bad reaction from the psu so i think it can handle this build as long as its not overclocked.

mr.kickstart

mr.kickstart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok i tried again with different cables and a different dvd drive but same result. i got the error number this time it is: 0x0000004e (0x00000099,0x00016570,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

I would check your ram with MEMTEST86 just to make sure.

Advertisements

mr.kickstart

mr.kickstart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
is there a free version of it? how exactly do i use it?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Its a Free small program you have to burn on a cd as a bootable CD, then change the boot order in your BIOS to boot from your cd/dvd-rom first then save your new settings and reboot, as soon as your BIOS boots from the cd it will start to analyse your ram.

I would suggest if you have more then one stick of ram to only leave one stick at a time while it is testing, MEMTEST86 test all you physical memory at once and if it finds error it will not tell you which stick of ram as the error if you have more then one install.

Here is the link to the ISO image of the program, Just burn this image and your cd will be bootable
http://www.memtest86...t86-3.5.iso.zip

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is the installed ram on the compatibility list from the mobo manufacture...
if your only going to test with 1 stick of ram...check the mobo manual as it may have to be in a certain slot

mr.kickstart

mr.kickstart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
sorry for the delay ive been very busy, I ran memtest and it was one of the sticks of ram.

I installed windows and all my programmes then went out to enjoy the good weather, I came back in an hour later and it was dead, absolutely nothing it would not even turn on. I have tested the PSU which was my first concern but that's fine (im using it right now)I also tried a different Power Supply and still not a peep, I took it apart and did a bench test and nothing, there is some power reaching the mobo has the led on my card reader is on. ive checked all my connections and tried a bench test for about half an hour and could not get anything to work. would I be right in saying that if it the CPU or the ram was gone it should still turn on without them but just wouldn't post. I don't have another mobo to test the cpu has the one I have access to cant handle the q6600 but it can handle my memory so i will check that tomorrow. Is there anything else that could have gone apart from the mobo?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...get started with the steps of bench building & testing