Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't boot after microsoft auto updates

• Please log in to reply

Estevia

Estevia

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
About a month ago following a microsoft auto update, I received the following message "file missing or corupt <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.ext. Please reinstall a copy of above file"
After many, many attempts to boot holding down f8, f12 and other keys, I finally got it to boot up holding down the FN key with the on button. Then I did a restore to a few days before the update and all was well. This time I get no messages following an microsoft auto update of 5. I get only the fan and no screen at all. Then when I try holding down the on key at the same time I plug in, I get only the Dell screen but nothing else but the fan. No battery just AC. I am writing from a borrowed laptop. I do not have a recovery CD. Is there another way? I appreciate any help possible and thank you in advance.
Please help!!!!!
Estevia

Edited by Estevia, 20 May 2010 - 01:43 PM.

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Estevia-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

This will allow you to create a recovery console from which you can boot and repair your computer.
  • Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double-click ARCDC.exe to run the program.
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3.
  • Accept the Terms of Use.
  • You will see a few DOS screens flash by- this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC.

Now we're going to boot into that CD and use it to repair your Windows installation.

• Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD and assure that your CD-ROM drive is capable of booting the CD.
  • Once you have booted from CD, do NOT select the option that states: Press F2 to initiate the Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool.
  • You’re going to proceed until you see the following screen, at which point you will press the “R” key to enter the recovery console:

Posted Image
  • After you have selected the appropriate option from step two, you will be prompted to select a valid Windows installation (typically number “1").
  • Select the installation number, and hit Enter.
  • If there is an administrator password for the administrator account, enter it and hit Enter (if asked for the password, and you don't know it, you're out of luck).
  • You will be greeted with this screen, which indicates a recovery console at the ready:

Posted Image
  • Enter this command and press enter:
    sfc /scannow
    Note the space between sfc and /scannow. If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit without leaving a message.
  • After that, enter this command and press enter:
    chkdsk /r
    Please be patient, as this scan may take a while (around 45 minutes).

When you are finished, post back with the results. :)

Edited by FNP, 20 May 2010 - 03:36 PM.

Estevia

Estevia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello FNP,
Thank you for the welcome and for your timely assistance with this. Your instructions were very clear to me. I followed your directions to the letter to create the recovery disk, however it's not reading the disk. When I insert the CD I can hear it beginning to read but nothing happens. I thought perhaps the problem was with the CD and so I created 2 more and now neither of the 3 will enable the system to boot. I get nothing on the screen not even a cursor, but I can hear it beginning to read. I have tried all 3 of the CD's sooooo many times with the same result. Can you think of anything else I can try? Thank you again.
Este

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Estevia-

Odd. Can you confirm you've changed your BIOS settings to boot from the CD drive?

Estevia

Estevia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry. I don't know how to change BIOS settings. I suppose that is something I would have done previously and if so, I know it has always read CD's automatically all the time when I inserted them. Would this mean it is set? Thank you more for your help.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Depending on your system, when the DELL screen pops up, press F1, F2, F12 or DEL (there should be instructive text on the screen saying press XX for setup). Look for a menu called Boot Device Priority (or something similar). Go to that menu and look for your CD drive; make sure that your CD drive is set as the highest priority so that your computer will boot from the CD, instead of the hard disk.

Edited by FNP, 20 May 2010 - 10:28 PM.

Estevia

Estevia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The Dell screen never comes up. The screen stays black, however, I tried all of the f keys and the delete key during power on and no change whatsoever.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
This is happening when the CD is inserted, yes? If so, I'm inclined to believe your CD-ROM is malfunctioning.

Try taking the CD out and rebooting. Your first post indicated that it was possible to get to the Dell splash screen; if so, you'll be able to confirm your BIOS is set to boot from the CD.

Estevia

Estevia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes. This is happening with the CD in drive. Now when I take it out, nothing. Earlier when I began this problem, I got the Dell screen only one time, for some reason when I unplugged the laptop and then held down the on key while plugging it in. The battery is dead. Really wierd. That's not happening now anymore. I tried several times and also tried the f keys more times, the del key and the fn key. Yikes!!!

Estevia

Estevia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello FNP,
This is very strange. With the CD inserted, I held down the power button and plugged in laptop and it came up normally. Now it is sitting herewith the screensaver and all icons in place. There is also a working cursor. I will not do anything or definitely NOT shut it down until I hear from you. PLEASE don't give up on me!!!!! Thank you.
Este

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Estevia-

Odd. I'll have to do some digging and see if I can find out what's going on.

As for now, I strongly recommend you make a backup of any important data, if you haven't done so already. Use a USB flash drive to make a copy of your music, data and pictures, in case you can't get a hold of it again.

I'll get back to you on a more permanent solution in a little bit.

Estevia

Estevia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I will just leave it alone since it is up and running so that I will be able to follow your next instructions. I never used a flash drive but will purchase one as you recommended. Thank you much and I will wait to hear from you.......Este

Estevia

Estevia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Please let me know if you are still researching this, as I've not heard from you in several days and still needing help. Thank you.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Sorry, it look like you've slipped through the cracks.

I'm very busy this weekend, and I don't think I'll have time to work on it until I get back. If any of the other volunteers have any suggestions, they are welcome to post here. :)

Estevia

Estevia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you for letting me know. I would appreciate assistance from anyone who can help. Thank you in advance.