Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hyperlinks in Excel 2007 dont work from DVD

• Please log in to reply

brio

brio

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hyperlinks to a jpg file are inserted successfully in Excel 2007, When activited from workbook residing on C:\ where the jpg is also, Explorer is opened and the picture file is displayed correctly. When I transfer a folder containing the workbook and hyperlinked files to a rewritable DVD and test the hyperlinks from there (F:\) before giving the DVD to someone, Explorer opens showing "Connecting..." and nothing happens, so the picture is never displayed. Checked root and it seems ok. Anyone experienced this or know what is going on? or not going on!! :)

Advertisements

dm27

dm27

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hello Brio,

Welcome to Geeks to Go!

After doing a bit of digging, it sounds like your using absolute hyperlinks (where the paths are hard coded) vs. relative hyperlinks (where the path is "relative" the document's location)

Microsoft Source

To ensure the links stay tied to the file on the DVD (or other portable media), change your hyperlink path to include just the file name (and the file type extension). I've tested this on a USB drive: placed my excel file and the .jpg image on it and the link worked fine.

Give it a test, and let me know if you are successful.

Best regards,

dm

brio

brio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks dm

It looks like the system already presents the path correctly, including when transferred to the portable media. In the Edit Hyperlink window there is a "Look in" box which shows the folder where both files reside. A box showing files held in folder and an "Address" box showing the file name and extension.

I have edited these several ways to try and get around the problem but no luck...Like you wrote I have had just file name and extension as well as specifying the path fully and neither work. Sounds like a bug.

Thanks for trying.

brio