Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with using router as access point/repeater

• Please log in to reply

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
In terms of technical terms, I'm not sure exactly what I need. From the reading I have done, an access point doesn't allow me use of the LAN ports which is what I need.

We recently moved and got Fios with their special modem + router. That leaves me an extra router now that I used with Comcast before. Before, everything was in one room (computer, modem, xbox, and router) so connecting via cat5 cables was easy.

For our new home, I set up the computer in Room A with the special verizon modem + router in that same room.

In Room B is my Xbox and a spare router. I want to be able to grab the wireless signal running through my house with the spare router and be able to use the lan ports to get a hard-wired connection.

My specific router has options for access points and wireless bridge mode. Model number is F5D7230-4. It is a belkin 54g router.

Now, I've tried the access point stuff but this requires me to connect to the special verizon modem + router via a cable. The wireless bridge thing forces me to do the same thing.

I'm looking to do this without reflashing with hacked firmware (which will be my last resort). I can also use ICS with my laptop to get a hard-wired connection but it leaves the whole mess of connecting and disconnecting wires when I move my laptop around.

Advertisements

neilp4453

neilp4453

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Okay, I'm gonna post this for future reference if someone happens to stumble onto it. My router is a Belkin F5D7230-4 (v1444).

My Actiontec fios router/modem they gave me is very basic and doesn't have all the options. WDS isn't supported and so there was no way to get it to work via the wireless bridging option in my belkin router because I believe you have to initiate it on both routers.

But I read there being ways to do accomplish what i needed without having to initiate on both routers. Some terms you may want to look up are wireless repeater, client, and client bridge to see what is relevant to you.

So I flashed my Belkin to dd-wrt. The original micro build I used was whatever was posted in some tutorial I found on their site. Turns out it was a SP1 build which is buggy and so a more updated build was required. In their forums is links to updated builds so I downloaded a micro build from there. It was SP2 build so look for something similar. The initial flashing isn't too difficult but there are a couple ways to go about it so look for that on the dd-wrt site (I used some program called TFTP2 to help with the otherwise painful process; there is a specific tutorial I used that used that program to make it very simple and easy so don't do the manual way of flashing). Upgrading firmware (after initially flashing) is easy as it can be done within the router settings.

I set up the router to do client bridging. Use tutorials on their site to configure it. I personally had problems (it would show no connectivity on the taskbar) so I tried without security and it worked. I simply turned security back on the main router and edited the same information into the belkin router. I did not join the network again via the site survey thing. It simply worked by updating the security information.

Note: I also noticed this router had some sort of delay with updating information and noticing changes. For example, when I upgraded firmware from SP1 to the SP2 build, it did not notice it after a reboot so I unplugged the router and called it a night. The next day, I sat down to try again and saw that it showed the new build info so it might be important to be patient with this router. Another example is how my network didn't show up under Status --> Wireless tab after I joined via site survey. I just waited a bit and restarted the router and it showed up. Refreshing didn't update it but maybe with time it might have showed up.

I just wanted to post this because I see most people are working with linksys routers and not much information is found on situations with belkin. It worked for me.

Edited by neilp4453, 22 May 2010 - 01:38 AM.