- - - - - OTL oldtimer tutorial how-to scan

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Is this due to me using XP and other examples are later Operating Systems ?

Yes, that is what my XP machine shows too. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
No problem. I did a scan with my Win 7 and it showed the other way. Like the tutorial.

Just a minor question that has one always looking for the answer (Vista and above show 1 header and XP shows another)

Thanks for your time -

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Yeah, XP has the Documents and Settings folder while Vista and 7 have the Users folder instead.

However, if you unhide files/folders in Vista/7, you may notice the Documents and Settings folder ... but it's normally inaccessible.

chalmi

chalmi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

What can I do to download English version? I am in Czech but I really don't want the Czech version. I tried everything changing language settings, proxy ... Nothing helps. All the time app is in Czech. Did I miss some language selection on the page or something?

chalmi

chalmi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok, problem solved but I needed to change Format settings in Region and Language in Control Panel. Is this a proper solution to change system settings for small app? Is there any aother way to change language?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No, as it reads the language setting from the system

dany3j

dany3j

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
The commands [CREATERESTOREPOINT] and [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS] not working on Windows 7. :thumbsup:

The commands [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS] not working on Windows Vista

Why not work? :confused:

Edited by dany3j, 20 December 2011 - 11:50 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Couple of questions dany3.

Is System Restore turned on?

Are you running OTL as Administrator?

dany3j

dany3j

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Couple of questions dany3.

Is System Restore turned on?

Are you running OTL as Administrator?

Yes, System restore is on.

Yes, I Running OTL as administrator, but not working, on Vista and Seven. Only work on XP. :confused:

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello dany3j,

As I understand it, in Windows, System Restore is part of VSS see here. After XP the way this worked changed and in Vista and Win7 System Restore works differently . For OTL to work SR must be enabled and functioning; if not, the restore point creation will fail. You will see a line in the log stating the success or failure of the attempt.

Because of the differences from XP on Vista and Win7 systems you will not be able to clear previous restore points, this will need to be done manually through System Protection if you want to do that. If you use CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS on these OSs it will only create a new restore point.

My first thought when you asked the question was that you didn't have SR enabled in your machine. As you state it is and you are running OTL as administrator then we need to look for a possible reason why it isn't working. It may be that you are seeing that OTL is not clearing previous restore points on Vista and Win7 in which case the second paragraph above will have answered your question.

Alternatively, if OTL is not creating a restore point, then your security programs might be interfering in some way, there could be corruption in your system or maybe there is some malware causing the problem. If this is the case then my suggestion is that you open a topic in the Malware forum and see if someone there can help you. :)

Advertisements

dany3j

dany3j

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello emeraldnzl, thanks for your answer.

Explain what happened......

Windows Vista

The Run Scan

[CREATERESTOREPOINT] created a restore point. :thumbsup:

[CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS] created a restore point, but not delete the above. :rolleyes:

The Run Fix

[CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS] created a restore point, but not delete the above. :rolleyes:

Windows 7

The Run Scan

The Run Fix

[CREATERESTOREPOINT] not work. :confused:

[CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS] not work. :confused:

My computer is clean. I Know it. :thumbsup:

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
That looks normal for Vista and Win7. Restore points need to deleted manually though System Protection if you want to do that.

Nothing wrong there. :thumbsup:

dany3j

dany3j

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks emeraldnzl. :thumbsup:
Bye

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Question if I may:

Do the commands have to be placed in a specific order in the script?

Such as:

:OTL

:FILES

etc....................

Or can you place them as such:

:Files

:OTL

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello DonnaB,

If you think about it you will see that it some cases it just makes sense to use some directives/commands before others. ;)

For example if you want to stop a process you would use :Process command before other commands that you don't want the particular process to interfere with.

Equally, while you can use the :File directive to remove an individual file (note: not a file/folder line from the OTL log - they go under the :OTL directive) before the :OTL command; in practise, I find that I use the :OTL command to remove lines in the log first and the :File directive later to remove the odd left over. :geek:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OTL, oldtimer, tutorial, how-to, scan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.