• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello Elise,

Thanks for dropping in and clarifying matters for us.

No matter how you put it, a value is not removed this way, a key is.

Correct, and it's the sub key we are dealing with I think.

If you want to adapt the tutorial I'd suggest the following:

Example of removing a bad key from the HKLM hive

:reg
[-hkey_local_machine\software\classes\<bad key>]

I have changed it slightly for the tutorial but yes that looks much better to me. Thank you.

Advertisements

Noviciate

Noviciate

Confused Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,567 posts

I don't know where the name LOP came from (someone else may answer that) although it might have something to do with the address of the URL it connected to in it's early days. :)

Desperately looking to raise my post count, and with no shame in bringing a nearly two year old post back to life, I believe it was a contraction of Live Online Portal.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Thanks Noviciate. :thumbsup:

Yes I believe those with the infection found that their browser (IE) searches were redirected to Lop.com (Live On line Portal).

alexbrown

alexbrown

• Pip
  • 7 posts
this is great post, this post is very helpful for everyone.

Thanks

ken545

ken545

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 158 posts
  • MVP
Lots of great info, thank you all for your hard work :)

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Good to get the feedback.

Thanks Guys. :)

flashh4

flashh4

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Hi, this may be covered somewhere before ! How would you replace a line that was removed by an OTL Fix ??

Thanks

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello flashh4,

OTL does not have an automated restore function. They are notoriously unreliable.

It does however save moved files which can be copied and pasted back from there to their original locations.

Check out in your machine, navigate to and look in:

<systemdrive:\_OTL\MovedFiles

in most cases this will be C:\_OTL\MovedFiles

You may have to search a bit to find what you lost.

If you want help with something that might not have worked the way you wanted, open a topic here and explain what happened. :)

flashh4

flashh4

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
emeraldnzl,was just wondering cause i have a comp that i use as a virtual machine for testing fixes from other programs/tools & couldn't find anything on OTL Fix but i found it using your instructions ....... Thanks for the help !! I am just amazed at you guys who design these programs/tools, keep up the great work !

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hi flashh4,

I agree, OldTimer made this tool (I only wrote the tutorial) and yes, he spent hundreds and hundreds of hours developing it and providing help and support to the volunteers who give their time to work on the malware help forums. :)

Advertisements

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts

Lists items under HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

Explanation here.

Link does not work. :unsure:

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Thank you for the heads up. :thumbsup:

Removed.

AlexCa

AlexCa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

first of all my thanks for this awesome tool.

Second, i would like to ask if is there any known serious problem or incompatibility with Windows 8 or 8.1 (since apparently OTL runs fine in this OS), and if is there plans for a future release that officially supports Windows 8 / 8.1.

Thanks!

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
OTL is no longer under development. At date there are no plans for future releases.

As far as Win 8 and Win 8.1 are concerned the tool was designed before their release so there can be no guarantees. Having said that, my experience is that it still scans both operating systems very well. Any changes made in those systems though are not catered for and so fixes, expecially involving the registry, would need to be approached with caution.

Warning: If you are uncertain about any items in an OTL log or about any fixes, you should seek expert help.

AlexCa

AlexCa

• Pip
  • 2 posts

OTL is no longer under development. At date there are no plans for future releases.

As far as Win 8 and Win 8.1 are concerned the tool was designed before their release so there can be no guarantees. Having said that, my experience is that it still scans both operating systems very well. Any changes made in those systems though are not catered for and so fixes, expecially involving the registry, would need to be approached with caution.

Warning: If you are uncertain about any items in an OTL log or about any fixes, you should seek expert help.

Thanks a lot for the clarification!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OTL, oldtimer, tutorial, how-to, scan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured
Malware Removal How to Guides Windows 7 System Building Download Files Register welcome

Never used a forum? Learn how.