Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading a 6+yo custom build

• Please log in to reply

CabezaEnFuego

CabezaEnFuego

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I'm upgrading our church's sanctuary computer. It's primary purpose is running projection programs, currently PowerPoint and a program called Easy Worship, Easy Worship Specs. We want to make sure that the computer is more than capable of running these and any other video that we may need. This is a custom build computer, at least 6 years old, and we hired out to build it. I have basic knowledge of building a computer but it seems things have become more complex since I built my last system, about 4 years ago.

This is what I've bought so far:
Asrock Mobo
AMD Phenom II 3.4GHz A3 Quad-Core
Corsair DDR3 2x1GB
XFX Radeon HD 4650

I now know I need a new PSU too, the current one is a Codegen 250x1 350w 20pin

After recieving the mobo I see that is has a 24pin slot, an 8pin 12v and a SLI/Xfire power connector. The video card recomends 400w. So I believe that I need a PSU with 24pins, an 8pin or 6pin +2 12V, min 400w. Do I need to plug in that SLI/Xfire connector? Is there anything you can see that I'm overlooking or that I've messed up with the combinations?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341016

No you won't need to plug in any CrossFire or SLI connectors if you are only running one graphics card.

Edited by Troy, 20 May 2010 - 11:02 PM.

CabezaEnFuego

CabezaEnFuego

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Now that it's built it seems to sporadically freeze, restart or give me a blue screen (although after doing a reload of the OS I haven't seen the blue screen). I recall one site I looked at saying this could be from parts not matching.

The mobo, cpu, ram, and video card are all listed above, I also have an old Maxtor PCI hub, 2 cd drives, 2 hdds, a USB hub and PSU

It just reset with the error message: 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\Isass.exe' terminated unexpectedly with status code -1073741819.

Edited by CabezaEnFuego, 02 June 2010 - 07:26 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
So after reloading the OS, you don't see BSOD's anymore but it freezes and restarts?

Have you run any diagnostics, such as memtest86+?

CabezaEnFuego

CabezaEnFuego

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
so far no more bsod's but yes it still will freeze and restart occasionally. I haven't tried any diagnostics, I don't really know what I'm looking for. I'll try memtest, any others?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I assume you are using an old hard drive.

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

You might want to test the hard drive also with the manufacturers diagnostics (link in my signature).

CabezaEnFuego

CabezaEnFuego

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
yes, actually two old hard drives, the now master drive used to be the slave and was never really used. I made the old master the new slave so I could still have access to all the files. I'll try the chkdsk.

CabezaEnFuego

CabezaEnFuego

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I ran memtest and chkdsk /r, memtest didn't find anything and I wasn't around when chkdsk finished up so I don't know if it found anything on stage 5, the first 4 were fine, but I just had it freeze up on me. I've pretty much been testing this by running a 5 min video on a continuous loop and it freezes after about 20 min.

Update:it restarted and when I checked the Event Viewer I saw this message that seemed the most applicable:
"The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000007f (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060310-01.dmp."

Edited by CabezaEnFuego, 03 June 2010 - 05:15 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
You can try running WhoCrashed to see if the bug check identified a culprit file...

As for the CHKDSK, the result will be listed in the Event Logs.

CabezaEnFuego

CabezaEnFuego

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
ok, the chkdsk was clean, whocrashed found 4 crashes since I reloaded the OS, I'm not sure why but the times are off:

On Thu 6/3/2010 1:07:40 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: tdi.sys
Bugcheck code: 0xE1 (0xBAC283B2, 0x2, 0xA6EB93F8, 0xA6EB9408)
Error: WORKER_THREAD_RETURNED_AT_BAD_IRQL
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060310-02.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\tdi.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: TDI Wrapper
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 6/3/2010 11:09:11 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060310-01.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit is in another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 6/2/2010 12:21:53 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: wmilib.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xC0000095, 0xBADAA8AF, 0xA6C52954, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060210-02.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\wmilib.sys
description: WMILIB WMI support library Dll

On Wed 6/2/2010 7:11:37 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntfs.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1902FE, 0xA6F6E670, 0xA6F6E36C, 0xBA66CBDD)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060210-01.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
description: NT File System Driver

On Tue 6/1/2010 11:08:30 PM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: processr.sys
Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0x80004398, 0xFF, 0x0, 0x806E4F12)
Error: Unknown
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060110-01.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\processr.sys
description: Processor Device Driver

Edited by CabezaEnFuego, 03 June 2010 - 07:09 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Interesting...

Please run both short and long diagnostics on the hard drives.

CabezaEnFuego

CabezaEnFuego

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
I ran a chkdsk /r on both hdds, it seems more reliable but still freezes up some. We had a guy from a repair shop take a look at it, he thought that it might be a bad motherboard. Asrock is apparently the budget line of Asus. What made him think that is the wide range of what's causing the crashes.

So, in the event that we do replace the motherboard, would this be a good replacement for what we have. The primary concerns would be compatibility with the processor (AM3), the RAM (DDR3 1333), and the video card (Radeon).

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I was not meaning a CHKDSK for the hard drive diagnostics... I meant the actual manufacturer diagnostics for each hard drive, which you will find in the support downloads section of the hard drive manufacturer's website.

Did the repair centre check this? I'm a bit concerned at the words "he thought"... That's the point of a repair centre, to run diagnostics and diagnose, not just have a thinking session... :)