Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking 4 desktop computers and 3 laptops

• Please log in to reply

paulcole

paulcole

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I have read the article Home Networking & Printer/File Sharing for up to 4 pc's but wanted to ask for help as I am trying to help a friend out that works for a charity and needs help with the following:

She works for a charity that has 4 desktop computers

1 of them is connected to the router by wire with the other 3 computers connecting wireless

The 3 wireless computers keep losing there internet connection

She also has 3 laptops that connect wireless

On the main desktop computer (connected to the router via ethernet) there are 3 shared drives
1 that she only has access to
1 that the charity staff have access to
and 1 that anyone has access to

What she would like me to help with is making the 3 wireless computers and 3 laptops be able to look at the information on the staff drive and the drive that anyone can access

Also for all the computers and laptops to be able to print

Will I have to buy ethernet cables for the 3 desktop computers and wire them to the router?

I am sure this is a simple exercise but would really appreciate any advice from you guys

Thanks again

paul

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Any issues with the laptops dropping their connection?

You can wire the 3 desktops versus going wireless and I would recommend you do so. It is much more reliable that way.

In order to see the drive, all you would need to do is share out the drive and map it to all the machines. Assuming you are using Windows XP, follow this to share out the drive and this to map it to your other machines.

As for printing, most printers sold now have a built in ethernet port to print via over the network. Some even come with built in wifi. If not, you will have to hook it up locally via one of your machines and share it out the same way you would share out a local drive, as illustrated in the above link.

In order to add it to every machine there are 2 ways to do so. If the printer has a built in ethernet port, then follow this. You will also need to have your printer drivers handy.

If the machine is shared from a local machine, its actually much easier. For example, you need to set a printer name when you share it. Lets just call it Printer. You will also need the machine name as well, lets just call it Computer. To add the printer to other machines, goto Start -> Run and type \\Computer\Printer , a box will pop up and ask you if you want to add the printer. Select yes and the printer will show up under Printers and Faxes. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the computers.

I know its a bit of info, but please let me know if I neglected anything.

paulcole

paulcole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for the below information that you gave me. I have another question regarding the router and set up?

The main computer that is hard wired to the router is located in another office and all 4 ports on the router are in use, the remaining computers that keep loosing connection have connection to the router via belkin wireless adaptors, but as mentioned because they keep loosing connection I want to hard wire them.

Do all the computers that are on the same network have to be using the same router or can I just add another router to the remaining computers that are currently connecting wireless?

It's hard to explain without going into to much detail but I will try

The current pc is connected to a router and the router is full with other computers not associated with the charity, so I have to use another router for the 3 remaining computers. The socket that is in use for the current router has a splitter on it so I am able to plug in another telephone cable in and attach another router. Will I be able to run the 3 computers off this router and leave the main computer connected to the original router?

I understand if you are unable to give the correct information as it is very confussing, but appreciate all the advice you give

Many thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Do all the computers that are on the same network have to be using the same router or can I just add another router to the remaining computers that are currently connecting wireless?

you CAN have 2 routers but it's not suggested. what you should get is a switch. what you would do is plug the switch into the router, then plug the computers into the switch.