Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

recovering data from hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Estee

Estee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Thanks for your suggestions. I have to be away from the computer for a bit but I will get back to to you tomorrow-- I'll probably post tomorrow night.
Thanks again!

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, you said that when the laptop drive is connectef it shows up in Device Manager under Disk Drives...how is it listed ?.

Right click it & select PROPERTIES then VOLUME tab. There should be a POPULATE button, click it & post listed results or screen shot

Estee

Estee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Right click it & select PROPERTIES then VOLUME tab. There should be a POPULATE button, click it & post listed results or screen shot

OK, here it is:

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot_of_volume_tab_of_tamar__s_usb_hard_rive.JPG

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
USB TO IDE/SATA USB DEVICE

This looks like the adapter is recognised but not the hard drive :)

Power on your desktop, plug only the adapter into a usb port on the BACK of the comp. If the SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE icon appears in the task bar click it & then remove the adapter. Connect the drive to the adapter & plug back into the rear usb port. If the drive is still not recognised you possibly have a problem with the drive itself.

Do you have Service Pack 3 installed ?

Estee

Estee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
First of all, thank you so much. Your instructions are very clear, helpful, and kindly worded. :)

I took those steps, but got that same screen on device manager saying it's recognizing the adapter but not reading the hard drive. :)

Yes, we have service pack 3. The hard drive came from a computer with Windows 7.

Is there any hope? Or is it time to ship back the hard drive with laptop and accept losing the data that was on it?

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Just a thought, does your desktop have sata drives ?

What is make & model of your desktop ?

Estee

Estee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
How would I know if our desktop has SATA drives? It's a Dell Dimension E510 manufactured December 2005. (That's why I was trying my husband's laptop-- it's newer).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to the manual it has a SATA drive. So thats what you need to replace it with.

Estee

Estee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Question: the box for the R-Driver III USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Cable says it was supposed to come with a disk with but there was no disk in the box. Could the problem be just that?

PS For some reason I am being blocked from sending any PMs, so please reply here! :)

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, I don't think the driver cd is the problem, it will be drivers for win 98 & me. You have XP which shouldn't need extra drivers as they are included.

Advertisements

Estee

Estee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
degitt,

Thanks so much for your help. I think my daughter is resigned to losing her data and we'll send in the laptop to HP for repair before the warranty expires. I'm also returning the cable-- maybe it was defective. I saw a number of posts in different forums online where people had similar problems-- though, unfortunately, none had a solution I could apply-- but at least one had a faulty cable. :)

Thanks again.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
hi Estee, you are welcome, good luck. :) :)

i just got your PM

Edited by deggitt, 27 May 2010 - 08:32 AM.

Estee

Estee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for all your suggestions. I think the cable may be faulty-- I'm not sure. Or, the hard drive is just shot.

We're sending back the laptop for repair.

Thanks again. :)