Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Printer

• Please log in to reply

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I have recently bought a laptop. I now have it wireless through a router.
My freind told me I could make my laptop work print out at my desktops printer.
He said i could do this wireless.

If this is correct could somebody please try and help me

Thanks

Advertisements

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Please. I really need to know.

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well i guess that nobody knows so oh well.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
I thought your friend would have told you .....

If both machines are part of the same workgroup, just click add printer in your Printers and Faxes settings and add a printer attached to another computer. Select the correct printer and that should do the trick following an auto install of drivers used by the desktop assuming both machines are XP. If they are not, then post some more info re: OS of each machine and printer type and we'll get much more specific.

:tazz:

I'm assuming your friend told you to first set up printer sharing on the desktop machine.

Edited by Rockster2U, 23 May 2005 - 06:59 AM.

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well i will try that.
My friend had soemone come round and do it for him

THanks for your help.

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
When i go to the printer and Faxes and i search for one on my network, it says that I have to name it. Can this be anything or the printer name. ITs and Hp psc 2210 series Printer.

Thanks in advance

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I have now enable printer sharing and have found my other com[uter when searching for it. It first of all says it needs s network name and then i have te message

Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server.

Well, both my computers, my desktop and laptop connect automatically so I have a feeling its to do with the name.

ANy help will really be thanked

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

an auto install of drivers used by the desktop assuming both machines are XP

Could be this as i do not really get it.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Are both of your machines part of the same workgroup? Go into your control panel > System and chek the computer names and workgroup name - the workgroup name has to be identical. Once thats accomplished and you've enabled printer sharing on the printer (right click on the printer while in Fax and printer settings and select sharing) (yes, name the shared printer - maybe InsanitysRevenge? - whatever you like but long names not readable in any DOS based apps). Now go back to your laptop and add a printer and select [network printer or printer connected to another computer] and then go to rthe second option which will permit you to browse for a printer. You'll find it under the expanded map of your desktop (click the plus to the left of your desktop just like an explorer window and keep going until you find that printer) Select it and my guess is drivers will be auto installed from your desktop computer since they are both XP. The one caveat that you didn't mention was that this is an all-in-one printer. What did your friend have to say about that?

OK, let us know what happens.

Regards

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
OK, well i have school in 20 minutes so i will try that later.

Thanks for that detailed help there

Advertisements

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Yes got to adding it. It says that my Desktop does not have the right printer driver installed. Well i recently got my desktop wiped and would it be I have to install it on my desktop.

Thanks again

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Hehehe.........

You're full of surprises this morning. Yes, I'd say you might want to check your printer installation on your desktop machine. I thought you had XP on both machines was under the impression your printer worked with your desktop. Now, where did I get a crazy idea like that?

It may come down to having to install a driver on your laptop but a BIG CAUTION here. Its an all-in-one printer so don't take that step without further guidance. Check out all of your printers functions from the desktop and make sure that is working first. Then post back with status.

ong2lua

ong2lua

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Well. I have the same problem on my wireless laptop and the wired desktop. I've tried to access the printer from my laptop but not very sucessful. The computers are using windows XP Home edition, and they are in the same workgroup. The desktop can see and access files on the Laptop, and the Laptop also see the Desktop but doesn't have permission to access the computer. I've turned off all the Windows and Mcfeee security and add File Sharing Folder for Everyone permission, but still can't access it. Can anybody help me please.

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
ong2lua

You'll get more help if you start your own thread.

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

You're full of surprises this morning. Yes, I'd say you might want to check your printer installation on your desktop machine. I thought you had XP on both machines was under the impression your printer worked with your desktop. Now, where did I get a crazy idea like that?

They are both XP and it does work with my desktop. How would i create a Printer drive