Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I install XP Pro?

• Please log in to reply

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I am on my 4th attempt to install XP PRO from a disc I received from DELL for a used computer I bought. The only thing I can figure out that I am not doing right is the partition. I chose D: as a partition to install it on, and it formats it and installs, but when it reboots (with CD in or out) I get nothing -either black screen with blinking cursor, OR "Press any key to boot from CD" -I need help!

Just tried again....designating partition size of D: 10000 mega instead of most of the hard drive....still nothing....reboots to black screen with cursor. I really dont want to or need to partition my hard drive...it's only 80 MB.

Edited by Mary Poppins, 21 May 2010 - 03:26 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can go to HERE to read the tutorial by one of the members here on how to do a Fresh Install or Repair Installation of you OS.

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I finally figured out what I was doing wrong....I had to delete ALL the partitions, format, then install. Weird thing is, the CD says Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 - and it only installed XP - not XP PRO. Have any idea why this is?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Is it a burned CD?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is the cd Dell sent to replace the OS and drivers for the system she bought used but was still under warranty.
Original topic is HERE

Edited by rshaffer61, 23 May 2010 - 03:50 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Maybe it is just stamped incorrectly then.