Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WS1600 HD Western Digital - Unusual problem.

• Please log in to reply

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Western Digital WS1600 HD - Unusual problem.

[1] When I try to boot up in the regular manner, I get a blue screen with the standard saying,
“A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen,restart your computer.If this screen appears again,
follow these steps.....( obviously I have tried again)

Check for viruses on your computer.Remove the newly installed hard drives or hard drive controller.
Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.
Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption,and then retstart.”

And when I try to go in ‘Safe Mode’ it never comes up so of course I can not run chkdsk/f or chkdsk/r.

At other times, I also receive the following message:

STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF7C5863C, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

[2] Then I tried using Winternals ERD Commander and even this would NOT boot into its program but gave the same stop message:

STOP: C0000221 Unknown Hard Error, \syster root\system32\NTDLL.DLL

[3] Then I tried Hirmes and no matter what program on the disk I tried, it would always give the following error message:

‘boot CD files were not found!!’

[4] Then I tried reloading XP and I received the same error message as in [1] above.

Can anyone provide a solution to my dilemma?

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Run WD's Diagnostic tool on your drive.

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi diabillic

Thanks for your assistance, but WD’s diagnostic program could not get in either; however, I have now successfully repaired the WS1600 HD. Here is how I did it for anyone else experiencing similar problems.

[1] First, I set the WS1600 HD up as a slave and put it in another computer and this permitted me to copy off important information to a flash drive, but I still could not re-format and/or wipe the WS1600 HD.

[2] Next, I used CCleaner to repair files and fix the registry.

[3] Then I checked the condition of the HD using HDAT2 V4.5.3 © 2007CBL software.

[4] I then wiped the HD using ERD to do a one pass wipe.

[5] The HD was then okay and I reloaded it – operating sys. And data.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Not really sure "not getting in" means, but from your post seems like you just had data corruption.