Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable toinstall Microsoft .NETFramework 3.5 service pack etc.

• Please log in to reply

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Now that I have my Nvidia card replaced and the PC is running nicely I'd like to move on with a problem dogging me for some time now.

Every time I try to install "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5. Service Pack 1 / .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86" it fails to install. This has gone on for some time now. I've gotten used to ignoring it but I wonder if it's important and why it will not install.

Thank you kindly.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have we met before? You look really familiar... :)

Do you have Service Pack 3 installed to your XP? SP3 has been causing some problems with the .NET platform on some machines.

Download the Full Redistributable .NET framework package from Microsoft and see if it will install. (This is a direct download.)

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
One step ahead of you this time. I already downloaded the full install. It failed as well howver I had a couple of other things running at the same time. I know, I know...

I'll shut down everything and try again.

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
You may want to run this .net framework cleanup tool in case you have remnants of old failed installs which can cause similar problems to what you are having. Read the instructions, and follow them. After you run the software, reboot, and then try to do the full install. The cleanup tool is found here: http://www.aboutonli...-net-framework/

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks, I'll try that too. After shutting down everything the .NET update failed again. I see through Goooooooogle this is not an uncommon experience. Way to go, Microsoft.

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
How do I know when that thing is finished? I suppose it would be best to go straight off to the Microsoft update page and re-download all the stuff it just removed?

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
It worked!

The un-install provided through the link removed .NET - all updates. Then I was able to install .NET 3.5.

Now, do I need to go back and add the others? Or does 3.5 superceed all others?

At least the nagging is over. I'm happy for that!

You folks have a marvelous site here. I wish I had discovered you a long time ago. I wish I had half the knowledge you all have as well.

I'm a happy "customer."

Now, if I can just re-turn to the work force...

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

MichaelTrumpetPlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Now, a word or two about HP updates.

HP updates seem always to cause delays and/or problems. It seems every time I want to shut down the PC or re-boot it on purpose, there is an HP update gumming up the works. Half the time the HP updates down't work anyway.

I'm STILL getting a pointless error message on boot-up informing me the Deskjet 9800 printer supposedly "isn't" installed and that the "tool box" is not available because it's not installed. Poppycock! The printer works just fine. I don't understand this silly message.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try uninstalling then reinstalling your printer software.

The HP Updater can be disabled or uninstalled (if memory serves). It's more bloat than program anyway.