Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to internet

• Please log in to reply

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hello, my friend is having a trouble with his HP Pavilion a6214x computer. Recently, he got a virus so he used system recovery using the partition recovery in the hard drive. After he did that, he couldn't connect to internet using ethernet cable. But he's able to connect to the internet if he uses wireless adapter. I pointed out to him that he might have to install the network driver in HP website.
I told him to install Conexant PCI Soft Modem Driver Update in HP website but it doesn't change anything after he installed the driver. What could be the problem here?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The "Conexant PCI Soft Modem Driver" is for a built-in dial-up modem, not for an ethernet network adapter.
HP do not appear to have a driver for a network adapter for the Pavilion a6214x so I can only assume that the Vista driver is provided by Microsoft via Windows Update. I had to get my Canon printer driver that way recently when I upgraded to Windows 7 because Canon don't supply the Windows 7 driver on their website. Microsoft supplies it.

One thing your friend could try is to connect wirelessly (which you say he is able to do) then run the Windows Update in Control Panel. The driver for the network adapter should be listed in the available updates when the updater has finished scanning his system.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 22 May 2010 - 02:51 PM.