Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speed Up Computer Start

• Please log in to reply

TomBoy10

TomBoy10

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
For sometime now I've been trying to get my computer to start up quicker with no real success. Its just occured to me that I installed a second hard drive a few years ago. I know the Operating System is on the C:, but is my computer going through both drives, thus the slow start, before it starts and if so can I make it just go to the c:?
Thanks

:)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
welcome to GTG. Please do the following and attach the required information in your next reply.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Where is it long on your PC post or once windows astarted. The only time a second hard drive would slow down your boot is at the Bios start up when it seeks your hardware. You can help your time a little buy going in your bios and making sure that your master hard drive (with your c:/) is your first in the order of boot (before cd-rom or floppy ecxt.) the fact you have a second hdd should only make a couple seconds of difference at this stage.

What you could check to help your boot time is what windows loads at start up (antivirus, firewall, office ect) and eliminate any program not really necsessary. You can modify what loads at boot by going to START/RUN and type MSCONFIG then go to the tab START UP and uncheck all the programs not really needed at boot ( just be careful of what you uncheck since some programs are needed at boot). Any programs like antivirus, anti malware or protection programs are needed, ATI or NVIDIA programs are needed too.

Regular maintenance also helps like defragmentation or cleaning your temp files (use a program like ATF File Cleaner).