Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failed to connect to a windows service

• Please log in to reply

gunzaa

gunzaa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys, it's my first post here. I decided to register for an account because my computer is facing some problems.

So today, I turned on my laptop only to find out I get an error (bubble) on the bottom right saying "Failed to connect to a windows service" and underneath that said "group policy client service failed the logon"

My desktop gets totally messed up. Sound doesn't work and most of my programs do not boot up. I found two temporary solutions: one is to go on safe mode, open command prompt and type netsh winsock reset , but that stopped working after I reset a few more times. Another possible fix was to press F8 and then start with "last best configuration settings" but that only works sometimes.

Now I want to know what the problem for this is and fix it once and for all.

EDIT: I am now sure I have a virus/malware of some sort. Could this be the reason why my computer won't start up properly at times? "Data Protection" just installed without my permission.

Edited by gunzaa, 22 May 2010 - 09:51 AM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Any suspected malware issues must be posted on the malware forum since we aren't allowed to help with malware-related problems here. That's because dealing with malware properly requires expert help and we non-experts might only make a bad situation worse. Please post here:
http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html

pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,

ok,

Boot in safe mode and login under a local adminstrator account.

Right click My Computer and click manage, up will pop up a computer management window, in that window double click Services and Applications and then click Services.

In the list of services scroll down to "System Event notification" and double click it. The properties for this Service will then display.

Make sure the start up type is set to Automatic and make sure the Service status is set to Started.

After you have done this click "Event Viewer" in the far top left of the screen and click "System". This will bring up the logging of events in which have happened on your machine. This can help us determine whats causing the error.

So click "Action" on the top toolbar and click "Save log files as," save it somewhere and then upload it in your next post. Do not copy and paste it.

Reboot your machine see what happens.