Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

transferring to Vista

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Hello,

I had some extra money and bought a 'last of' floor model Vista computer. Haven't used it much as it's hidden in my closet. Since buying it I've noticed a lot of complaints about Vista - so now I'm concerned.

I may have settled in our divorce the wrong way. She's getting the XP and I'm getting the Vista. Ideally I'd love to just copy from the XP computer all documents, pictures, video, songs, webcams, software - well, everything and transfer to the Vista computer. I'd probably use a thumb (USB) drive to transfer with.

OK - those more knowledgeable, will this work, is there a better way, what do I need to know about wanting to do this transfer?

Edited by bamakodaker, 22 May 2010 - 10:38 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The data (docs, pics, songs and video) will go easily.
The software (programs) will not. You cannot copy programs from one computer to another. You will need to reinstall them on your machine.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

The data (docs, pics, songs and video) will go easily.
The software (programs) will not. You cannot copy programs from one computer to another. You will need to reinstall them on your machine.

Not able to do such. Both were low priced units. No disks. Just preloaded.
Open to any suggestions.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
Re-purchase the software.