Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalled OS now a few gliches

• Please log in to reply

freddyuk

freddyuk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have just rescued my files from my Dell 6400 using a HD enclosure which worked a treat so i assume i had virus problems which stopped me booting from HD or disc or anything.
I cleaned the HD with Malwarebytes.
I then reinstalled my XP OS using Dell disc but i did not have the Drivers disc so downloaded all these from Dell site.
Laptop works but has the following issues:
1. When it connected to my Wireless Router which it did all on it's own my other laptop lost it's connection. I can get it connected to the router but not to the internet.I can harwire it and it connects ok.
I changed the IP address so it was 3 away from the reinstalled one but i cannot get it to connect. I have tried all the tricks but no joy. It must be a numbers thing as it was working fine before.

2.When the reinstalled laptop boots up i get the boot screen asking me to choose which system to load (they both say windows xp) and will auto connect in 30 seconds.The font is smaller than it should be. I then get the normal windows welcome screen all ok.
I have loaded IE and Google Chrome and Hotmail and the screens seem strange as if the font or resolution is not right. It looks like my very first laptop font?? IE. old and basic!

3.When using hotmail the function which asks if you want to close a message as it was not saved does not work anymore? Also the back button seems to not reload the previous screen.

4. Everything i download now goes to a download bar at the bottom and i have to open it from there.

5. I have to choose which programme to use when opening a document ie. pick word or PDF as it does not do it automatically. (i have downloaded MS Office from disc)

6. I have done all the updates as far as i know.

Is this all related to a duff reload or something else? Hard to explain but it all seems to be missing all the fancy stuff if you know what i mean.

Thanks

Advertisements