Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer freezes / reboots randomly

• Please log in to reply

Ruitos

Ruitos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I've done:
-3 passes on memtest with both rams (I could explain but when I got your reply let's say the test was in progress.. XD)
-26 tests on the "oldest" 512 ram (fell asleep at test 4 grr)
-1 test on the 1gb ram and the pc is currently in use (no freezes yet but it would be a bit soon to tell)

As soon as I can I'll do another 5 memtest passes on the 1gb ram and will get on with installing speedfan.

I got 2 small doubts...
On of the ram sticks had a LOT of dust stuck to it (more like a very big dust bunny-monster), I'm guessing this is never good but is it enough to cause the wild crashes? (I'm guessin it's not ><)
The other question is, should I run memtest on both ram slots? So far I've tested both rams on the same slot.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the memory passed then the next test is to install the 1 gig memory stick and try running the system on that alone. Does the system freeze\reboot with just it installed?
Yes dust can cause the memory to separate from the slot slightly and cause errors and freezing.

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 May 2010 - 11:47 AM.

Ruitos

Ruitos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok, the 1gb ram stick passed 6 tests, no errors.

I just got a reboot running the system only on that ram stick while saving speedfan's screenshot :)

edit: btw I took a look while changin the ram, PSU is 450w (brand tecnimax or tecnamax) and was changed along the motherboard 2-3 years ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.jpg

Edited by Ruitos, 24 May 2010 - 12:26 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
CPU is running a little warm for not doing anything extensive. Video card is also running a little warm. Have you opened your system up and used a can of compressed air to clean it out lately?
While it is open turn the system on and check the CPU, Video card fan and PSU fans to make sure thye are all turning when the system is running.

Ruitos

Ruitos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Yes I cleaned it when the problems first started (in winter ><), and again 3 days ago (I tend to clean it every 2 months or so). I will reopen and do a more thourough cleaning (I have and air compressor for painting might as well clean everything properly).

Which temp listed is the cpu temp? Everest gives me 33ºC on the cpu (bios too as far as I remeber), that had been my reference so far.. :s

The video card has no integrated fan and does get warm, it actually made all sorts of uncool visual glitches when it overheated (which never caused the system to actually hang or freeze but got me quite scared). I installed an old cpu fan on the box pointing to the card (it seems to get enough air to stop the gpu from overheating). I also installed another fan on the back of the box (a normal one) to get the air out just next to the card and the processor. All temperatures got a lot lower after that, and the system ran fine (exactly as it is now, just a diferent hdd) for a couple of years.

All fans are turning right now, will start cleaning right after posting.

Ruitos

Ruitos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ok that deep clean up was long overdue, there were some pretty big dust-bunnies stuck between the cpu fan and the heatsink, a LOT of dust in the PSU (it became a dust-thrower at some point... still hard to see around here).

These is another screenshot of speedfan after the clean-up:

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan_2.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then we have to look at the OS.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Ruitos

Ruitos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ran the test twice (I wasn't sure it had finished properly the first time), no errors.

edit: been looking at SpeedFan, I find matching temps within Everest for everything except "Temp3" (which, on iddle, goes anywhere from 43ºc to 65ºc, and it seems to change quite fast)

So GPU -> GPU
Temp1-> motherboard
Temp2-> cpu
Temp3-> ???
HD0 -> hdd
Core -> always matches GPU temp

Also, CPU shows 40º on the BIOS (it is getting pretty warm around here), could this have something to do with the reboots and freezes?

Edited by Ruitos, 25 May 2010 - 01:26 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Also, CPU shows 40º on the BIOS (it is getting pretty warm around here), could this have something to do with the reboots and freezes?

This temp is fine under normal parameters.
Please do the steps in my last post.
If that doesn't fix the issue then we would have to look at a Repair Installation or a Parallel Installation to try to resolve the issue.

Ruitos

Ruitos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I think I went overboard in the edit, I did do the sfc /scannow which didn't prompt any error. I will try the repair install but I've beem having this problems even on a fresh install... (ever since this problem started I've changed the hdd twice)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What do you mean you changed the HD twice?
You have physically replaced the HD?
When was the last time you did a install be it fresh, repair or parallel?
Have you check the IDE Controller mode to see what it is running?
ok I need you to do the following and let me know what it says

Click the Start and then Right click My Computer
Select Manage and In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
The click on the + sign next to your CD/DVD drive controller which will most likely be the Secondary Controller
Right click on the drive and select Properties
Click the Advanced Settings tab
In the Transfer Mode box that represents your CD/DVD drive (typically Device 1); open the dropdown menu and select PIO Only
Click OK and exit all windows
Reboot to make sure all settings take affect and then try your cdrom drive. Reply back with your results

For HD only

Let's make sure all drives are using DMA mode

Click the Start and then Right click My Computer
Select Manage and In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
The click on the + sign next to your Hard drive controllers on both the Primary Controller and Secondary Controller
Right click on the drive and select Properties
Click the Advanced Settings tab
In the Transfer Mode box open the drop down menu and select DMA if available
Redo the steps to check each of the Controllers
Click OK and exit all windows
Reboot to make sure all settings take affect. Reply back with your results

Ruitos

Ruitos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
When I say I changed the HD twice I mean I physically replaced it twice: the system started giving problems and having freezes, eventually I couldn't boot, and not even format the HD so I replaced it with an old 40gb HD to get by (december last year). Not long ago (maybe 1-2months) I finally got my hands on a new HD and replaced the 40gb one.

So the last fresh install was probably under 2 months ago. On both HD's, even after the fresh install I would get these random hangs an freezes.

I followed the instructions on your last post, all HD seemd to be in DMA if available, as for the CD/DVD drive I think it's also on PIO only (something is at least). I think I might have put both the physical cd drive and the virtual one from Alcohol 120% on PIO only mode.

I haven't done the repair install yet (I was backing up just in case..), should I do it now...?

Edited by Ruitos, 25 May 2010 - 06:57 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can go to HERE to read the tutorial by one of the members here on how to do a Fresh Install or Repair Installation of you OS.

Ruitos

Ruitos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
In the middle of the repair install I got an Error message: "Failed to install one of the core component which may affect driver functionality. The most recent driver that worked will now be restored."

At that point the wireless mouse stopped working and I had to continue with the keyboard, right after that the nVidia logo popped up, I was prompted for a restart, accepted but the installation just resumed (and the mouse started working again).

The repair install seemed to finish, and then the system froze on the Windows Xp logo (could still move mouse pointer but nothing else).

Shut down system, started it again, it froze right after typing the password.

Finally managed to reboot and start windows, got a new graphics cards found prompt from windows.

Should I try reinstalling the GPU driver? (since it seemed to give some kind of error during the repair install)
Or update to SP3 first? (I'm back to SP2)

Edited by Ruitos, 25 May 2010 - 09:05 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
GPU then SP3. That way if video driver is the issue it should resolve with the newest driver installed.