Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP "We apologize for..." Message...Stuck

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi folks...

Over the years I have got pretty good at solving my own problems and others, but this one has me stuck. I do not have access to the computer at this time. It is my friends daughter's laptop and we live states apart, so.

The laptop model is: Compaq Presario V5000

Here is the error message on startup and she can't do anything else:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or

software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to

protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent

settings that worked.

If a previous start up attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because teh Power or Reset

button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice

Ok...now usually I know how to fix this and I walked her through everything I know and the bottom line is nothing works. We have tried command prompt and it doesn't even pop up for her, and the restore to Last known good config just loops back around over and over again. Safe Mode is the same...just reverts back to a grey screen. This just came out of nowhere for her. The laptop was working fine just yesterday.

So is it safe to assume my last resort is getting the installation Cd and trying a repair? The laptop was a gift (hand-me-down) from her grandma and came with no documents or CD...however it still might be possible the she has them somewhere so I asked the daughter to call her and find out.

Anyhow, besides all the "normal" procedures, is there anyhting else I can do without the CD??? Is there any "universal repair" program I can download and send to her to fix this.

All advice welcome!

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

... is there anyhting else I can do without the CD???

The next step, which is "Repair Current Installation", would require a XP CD.

Accessing The Different Methods of Repair Available in Windows XP
http://www.theelderg..._windows_xp.htm

Scroll down to "Windows Installation CD - Repair Current Installation"

Is there any "universal repair" program I can download and send to her to fix this.

Don't we all wish. Whomever can create this bit of magic would be a bazillionare. :)

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
So will "any" CD version of windows XP work or does it have to be product specific?

Thanks

peace out,
daddy

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It can be a borrowed CD, but needs to be the same as she has on the computer. It needs to be home or Pro.

123runner

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks brother runner!!!

peace out,
daddy

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Not only the same version (Home or Professional), but the same Service Pack (SP) as well. For example, if she's running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3, you will need a Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 CD.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Quick question...had her get in touch with the original owner and she said the laptop was bought new and came with no repair disks or OS disks...so does this mean it might have a partition set aside for that and if so, how do I get to it?

peace out,
daddy

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Start here:

HP.com > Compaq Presario V5000 CTO Notebook PC
http://h10025.www1.h...=reg_R1002_USEN

And click on "Software & Driver Downloads".

On the next screen, select your Operating System (2000, XP or Vista).

On the next screen, click on "CD-ROM order page - Recovery Discs (3)", then select one of the following:
  • Notebook Recovery Disc Set Window Media Center Edition
    2006-07-11 , Version:N/A
  • Notebook Recovery Disc Set Windows XP Home
    2006-07-11 , Version:N/A
  • Notebook Recovery Disc Set Windows XP Professional
On the next screen select "United States" or "Canada" and click Submit.

On the next screen, "Enter the serial number of the product" and your "zipcode"/"postal code".

And you'll have to take it from there ... simply because I don't have your Compaq Serial Number or location.

When I entered a random string of numbers as a serial number and 90210 as a zip code, it fussed about being an invalid serial number but, it showed a cost of $14.95 + $0.90 shipping = $15.85 total.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Is there any data on there that you want to recover?
If so, we can get you directions for using a live Linux CD to boot from and use its OS to transfer data.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
UPDATE:::

Advice still needed. Here is what I did.

They came (the girl that owns the laptop) for a visit from out of state today and brought me the laptop. After reading all the advice here, I went to a local computer shop and asked if they could burn me a XP CD for Windows Media Edition 2005 Which is exactly what is on the laptop). They had them and made me 2 disks for only $5.00

So, I entered into the bios and changed the boot order to CD, inserted the disk and restarted. After a brief flash of the "Compaq" screen, a message that said, "Press any key to boot from CD" came up so I pressed "enter" and viola!!! The blue windows screen comes up and tells me that it is loading files and you can see them loading at the bottom of the screen...finally the bottom of the screen says "Starting Windows!" Now I await the next screen which should give me THREE choices...but sadly it never comes. I tried over and over and even tried booting with disk 2 just in case they got them mixed up at the computer store but they didn't. I cannot go any further...at least that I know of. I even waited the last screen out over 45 minutes just to make sure.

Any suggestions???

Thanks again

peace out,
daddy

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Quite possibly a hardware problem. I'd start by testing the RAM: