Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Install From One Computer To Another - Without CD

• Please log in to reply

Miss Allie

Miss Allie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have a program on my computer that I would like to transfer to another computer. I do not have the CD. I tried just transferring the folder, but am getting error messages - I guess it wasn't as simple as I believed it to be.

So my question is: How do I install a program from one computer to another without a CD?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

I have a program on my computer that I would like to transfer to another computer

It won't work.
Programs have to be installed. You can't simply move them.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Broni is quite right. When you install any software, several sub-folders are created in various places, plus entries are created in the Windows Registry (basically a large database of where everything is as well as system settings). So, as you can see, simply copying over one program folder falls far short of what is needed for the program to work. You have to know where all the folders are that the installer created, and all the relevant Registry information to copy over to the other PC - and that's just practically impossible.

Miss Allie

Miss Allie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks guys for your help - much appreciated. It was a custom-built calculation program that a friend of a friend created and I am not in possession of the CD, I guess I'll just have to do without.

Best regards.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Never mind - I re-read the initial post and saw that my question had been answered. :)

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 24 May 2010 - 11:44 AM.