Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Let service pack 3 download the worst thing ever!

• Please log in to reply

OSL

OSL

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am running XP home, I let microsoft download service pack 3 and ever since then (May 12), I can only get to the first page of any web page. Then the pop ups start telling me"Internet explorer has closed this webpage to help protect your computer" "A malfunctioning or malicious add on has caused internet explorer to close" then the blue box comes up "Data Execution prevention" along with "to help protect this computer windows has closed this program" then send error report comes up so I send it. After that closes I get SysFsder:IEXPLORE.EXE - Application Error, The instruction at "0x02c5ac08" referenced memory at "0x02c5ac08" The memory could not be "read". Click ok to terminate the program. So I click OK. Then the same type of error comes up , only now The memory could not be written. This time the error comes up 16 times and I click ok for all of them. Then it gives me the first page and we start all over again. Can someone help me please.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello OSL...

Try a System Restore to May 11. Sounds like you got either a bad SP3 download...or a botched install. The System Restore should take you back to before the SP3 was installed...then you can give it another try.

wannabe1

OSL

OSL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried that already and for some reason I can't go back to any date to do a system install. It acts like it is going to work but after it reboots the sytem tells me that it could not do it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
From Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs. Make sure the checkbox at the top to Show Updates is selected. Look in the list and see if Service Pack 3 is listed. If it is (should be), select it and remove it.