Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my CPU

• Please log in to reply

Necomuris

Necomuris

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I have a Dell XPS710 that i bought a year or 2 ago,I've added a few things to it, upgraded it to 8GB of RAM, added a EVGA GTX 260 graphics card, and now I want to upgrade its CPU, atm it has a Intel Core2 Duo E6700, but I'd like to get a quad core (http://www.newegg.co...x... core2 quad)
I have no clue if my motherboard will support it or not,and I've been having trouble finding information on it. My motherboards model number is 0uy253, and its chipset is nForce4 SLI intel, its southbridge is nForce 570 SLI.
Will I be able to upgrade to a quad core? I'm trying to turn my PC into a really decent gaming rig, and am leaning towards 2 graphic cards, am I being too greedy with my system by trying to go for a quad core?

Thanks for any help, and sorry if my post is a bit confusing.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I found a manual for your PC but the only difference is that it says the Chipset is nForce 590 SLI MCP so make sure its the same before buying the supported CPU's in the manual.

http://support.dell....10/en/index.htm

Here are the CPU Supported:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo (dual-core processor)
Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme (dual-core processor)
Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme (quad-core processor)

Necomuris

Necomuris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the reply, helped a lot, it seems the nForce 570 SLI chipset does not support any quad core processors that i could find. Oh well, I'll just have to use this opportunity to build a new computer :)