Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Shut down with battery at 92%

• Please log in to reply

pottersfriend

pottersfriend

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I bought a very tidy used ACER Travelmate 240. Everything works fine but when using battery only it completely shuts down after 5 - 6 minutes with the battery showing 92%
O/S is Windows XP Home. SP3

I took the battery out and put back in and it then ran for 45 minutes before shutting down with the battery showing 45%. Fully charged to 100% but since then it has reverted to the original 5 - 6 minutes to shut down.

I understand from a friend with another Acer that this may be a common problem and there is a patch that can be downloaded?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Dave

Edited by pottersfriend, 23 May 2010 - 03:19 AM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
There is no patch to fix the battery problem if it's the battery itself. It may simply be a case of the battery having reached the end of it's useful life which eventually happens to all rechargeable units. Furthermore, it's life could hve been shortened by misuse by a previous owner.

Many laptop owners leave the battery attached for hours or even days at a time when they are using mains power for most of that time. That's especially the case if they bought a laptop for using mainly at home as a more compact alternative to buying a desktop PC with wires everywhere. In such a scenario you are supposed to fully charge the battery then remove it & store it away. Failure to do this will severely shorten it's working life.
I suspect that's what has happened to yours.