Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleeting RECOVER D:

• Please log in to reply

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hello all and thank in in advance for your reply.

I need to clean out RECOVERY D: disk (VISTA OS) because it is full and I have not been able to do it.

I follow the directions system gives me,

..DISC CLEANUP OPTIONS
..CHOOSE WHICH FILE (MY FILES ONLY OR FILES FRROM ALL USERS), I CLICK FILES FROM ALL USERS
..PERMISSION TO CONTINUE
..SELECT THE DRIVE (OS C or RECOVERY D:) I click RECOVER D:

then.. it shows as there's nothing in recovery D:, when there is. It's full.

Is there a way I can get around this?

Thank you :)

Edited by ill_never_b_a_geek, 23 May 2010 - 06:43 AM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello ill_never_b_a_geek...

The partition you are trying to access to clean is the recovery partition for your system. This partition is not meant to be accessed unless it is being used for a system recovery. It's not advisable to make any changes to the Recovery partition.

wannabe1

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hello wannabe1n and thank you for your reply ,

Things are running poorly. I just run a system diagnostics and shows in red as follows,

"D: has less than 15% disc free space (1287 MB only)".

When I go to clear that up, it shows as follows,

Office set up files 0 bytes
recycle bin 0 bytes

So, now I'm realy confused. How can it be telling me it's only 15% free and then show me there's nothing there??

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The recovery partition is a locked volume which has no user access. While the system will report the physical condition of the drive, it will not display it's contents. Only the software invoked to perform a system recovery will have access to the files on this locked volume.

That said, it is possible to delete the volume through the Computer Management console, though I strongly advise against modifying or removing this partition unless you are absolutely sure you will never need to recover your system.

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thank you again for your reply ,wannabe1

I'm absolutely sure. I do have all the required disks IF worst comes to worst.
Can you tell me how to proceed?
Thank you.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Goto Disk Management and delete the partition.

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hello diabilic and thank you for your reply ,

"Goto Disk Management and delete the partition."

Sorry but I can't seem to find "Disk Management" anywhere. Can you direct me please? Thank you.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay. I got called away for a bit.

Right click on My Computer and choose "Manage". Once the console loads, click on "Disk Management" in the left frame. Once loaded, disk management will show the partitions and allow you to modify them. Most activities can be accessed through the right click context menu.

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thank you again for your reply ,wannabe1
Please don't appologize as it is I who am sorry that I keep bothering.
O.K. I've done it. All seems to have gone well (LOL though I can't get the butterflies in my stomach to settle down just yet).
Now when I Left-click on COMPUTER, all I see are two items; OS (180 GB free of 217 GB) & DVD RW DRIVE E:. Des that sound o.k to you?
Thanks

Edited by ill_never_b_a_geek, 23 May 2010 - 05:07 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Disk Management can be accessed via MMC. Easy to get to it is through Computer Management or type diskmgmt.msc from the Run line.

If your machine has a 250GB drive, which from what you posted is true, then your good to go.

ill_never_b_a_geek

ill_never_b_a_geek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thank you again for your reply, diabilic,

Before I deleeted the D: disk, I did some pocking around and found a lot of surprises. See, I had purchased this computer on-line as a store display item, and as new. Well, it must have been on the "shelf" an awful long time as it had "WINDOWS ME" originally installed (and still in there taking up room till yesterday)!! No more. It's all gone Things seem to be working a little faster now.

Scores went up only on graphics and gaming though; graphics from 1.2 to 3.0, and gaming from 1.3 to 3.1. Overal lowest overall subscore went up from 1.8 to 3.0 which is still low, but better than before.

Thanks again to you both (wannabe1 & diabillic) for your help. It is much appreciated. :)

Edited by ill_never_b_a_geek, 24 May 2010 - 06:20 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Not a problem, that is why we are here.