Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PSU gone bad?

• Please log in to reply

Keman

Keman

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok well for starters this is like a 6-7 year old comp I am talking about, but it was one that was custom built(not by me) to be a high end gaming computer and it has held up nicely. However just recently (as in this morning) when I went to press the "on Button" nothing happened at all. I have tried everything I know and can not get the slighest life out of the computer.
I thought that mabey the PSU went bad or somthing like that, though I'm not really sure. I guess I was just wondering what people here thought might have happened, and if you all think it would be worth it to try and fix it.

PS:I had backed up pretty much most of the important stuff on it (mainly all my music) to an external hard drive so thats not to big a deal. It is mainly used for one thing and that is to play the MMO FFXI.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What sort of machine is it? What is it's make and model?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Main reasons for nothing happening when pressing the Power Button.

- PSU is dead
- Motherboard dead
- Processor is dead
- Wiring problems

Check your front panel connection to see if the Power switch as not come loose. You can also switch the Reset button with your Power button to check if it is the button itself not working,

Check your power cord.

Change the wall outlet it is plug in.

If nothing lights up and fans do not turn then i would try another known working PSU first to see if it is the guilty party.

Keman

Keman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Ok well It looks like the model "might" be Gigabyte..... but I don't think it really matters since I think I am just gonna scratch it and get a new one.

I do have 2-3 older comps that Im sure have working PSU's in them, but Im kinda leery about tinkering with that since I've heard thats one thing you don't really want to be messing with. Besides from all the components in there I don't think I could manage to swap that out even if I tried.

One other question I did have was that if/when I did get a new comp, Isn't there some device you can buy that you can hook your old hard drive to and it gives you the ability to hook it to a working comp and retrieve files off of it? I know that I backed pretty much everything up Im just thinking about if I go to looking for somthing and find I didn't back it up for whatever reason I know I can buy somthing to go back and get it.

I'm sure they have somthing like that on Newegg but I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to look.

Edited by Keman, 24 May 2010 - 05:16 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts

... Isn't there some device you can buy that you can hook your old hard drive to and it gives you the ability to hook it to a working comp and retrieve files off of it?

USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter
http://www.newegg.co.....Free Shipping