Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alienware laptop VS custom build desktop

• Please log in to reply

Shaggs

Shaggs

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
im wanting to buy a new computer

my descision is torn between the alienware M11x (laptop) w/ upgrades and a custom build desktop

i like the M11x for mobility (for recording purposes) but 95% of the time desktops destory laptops in performance

i have a price limit of $1300 and i would use the computer for primarily gaming, and occasionaly running adobe illustrator and recording programs

************ im wondering what you would think the best buy would be and the pros and cons of your choice

i am also wondering if the M11X is a good buy for my price limit (mostly concerned about the processor)

Edited by Shaggs, 23 May 2010 - 09:24 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Not sure if there's supposed to be links to the specs for those 2 systems in your post, but if there is, they're not working. Could you either redo the links or just list the specs for the custom build please?

Without actually knowing what the custom build specs are, I'm still inclined to recommend a desktop over a laptop. Obviously, if you need the system to be portable, than you have to have a laptop. However, portability (and space saving, if space is actually an issue) are about the only 2 advantages of having a laptop over a desktop.

Disadvantages of laptops (compared to desktops) include: very limited upgrade potential, harder & more expensive to repair if hardware fails, more prone to overheating, more likely to get damaged, and as you said yourself, often don't perform as well.
Also, do you really want an 11" screen for gaming?

Edited by Samm, 24 May 2010 - 12:58 PM.

Shaggs

Shaggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
(those were not links lol)

yeah i know about the 11in screen i hooked my last laptop up to my 20in monitor whenever i played... but im leaning more towards a desktop now ..... what would you recommend buying for the build if you have a $$ limit of $1300

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
To be honest I'm not the best person to ask as I'm not a gamer but I would imagine something with either an Intel i5 or i7 or AMD Phenom II processor with ATI Crossfire or Nvidia SLI.

I notice you've already started another topic about this, which is probably sensible so hopefully you'll get some better advice there!