Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

another newly built system that won't power up : (

• Please log in to reply

Meir

Meir

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone.

Although I have upgraded individual components before such as hard drives, optical drives and memory, this is my first attempt to assemble a PC from scratch.
I used an XG Viper 2 case, an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard, an AMD 635 (Quad-core processor), a Galaxy Geforce 200 (PCI express 2.0) and 8 GB of Corsair memory that were recommended as being compatible with my board from Corsair staff. I also have a 750W Antec power supply.
I assembled the individual components. Everything seemed to be seated fine from the processor to the memory. I put in a 1 TB Western Digital drive, an Asus DVD drive and a generic IDE dvd drive. I connected the HD to sata port 1 and connected everything to the power supply. My board has both a 24 pin connection for the power supply as well as a 4 pin block one. I connected both of these but can more than one 4 pin piece go in that slot? Is it possible I have the wrong 4 pin one connected? (the 24 pin connector is labeled as for the motherboard but no other ones are, outside of a couple of PCI express connections nothing is labeled)
In any case , all of the motherboard connections seem fine except for the Power LED cable. Although the Viper manual mentions it I saw no trace of it in my case, according to Asus that should only affect my power button's light not its ability to turn the PC on and off. Outside of the Power LED cable everything else seems to be connected, yet when I turn on the power only a tiny green light on the motherboard lights up, no disc drives or case fans spin,,not even the fan in the power supply! I am hoping that I am missing something simple and obvious but at the moment I have no clue. : ((
I will open it up again and double check my connections again but does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

Advertisements

Meir

Meir

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:)

sigh...the block that has the speaker , power LED etc. on the motherboard was loose, re-seating that enabled it to power up. Now to load Windows Xp and then hopefully 7 at a later point....
One strange thing going on is that when I chose to install XP Pro on my 1 TB drive , the Windows installation only saw it as 131,062 MB of unpartitioned space. There are no jumpers on the drive and it is a SATA drive. I am hoping I can resize it once it is in Windows.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Sounds like you may be using an old, original version of XP (no service packs).

http://www.48bitlba.com/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What version of XP as I agree with SpyWareDr and the issue is the original XP could not see anything above 135 gigs. You could try slipstreaming SP2 or SP3 into your existing XP but a easier route would be to purchase a newer XP and then you would be assured it would work.

Edited by rshaffer61, 24 May 2010 - 07:06 AM.