Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Management Console

• Please log in to reply

LaZyMiCro

LaZyMiCro

• Pip
  • 6 posts
mmc.exe not found when I try to open device manager. I am trying to disable my audio drivers and uninstall them so I can install a new one. I have looked everywhere to try and download this but can't find it anywhere and Microsoft.com downloads don't help either because I've already tried to download them and my computer tells me that it is not necessary to install them and closes installation because my upgrade is better than the one I am trying to install. I have Windows XP Service Pack 3 and none of the downloads for Microsoft Management Console will work with Windows Xp Service Pack 3.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
This is sometimes cause by SP3 on certain machines, you can try to uninstall SP3 and download the stand alone version of SP3 (not through Windows updates process) and reinstall it from that downloaded fullpack version it might solve your problem.

Hope that helps

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
run sfc /scannow...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

for vista...
go to the run box and type in cmd
instead of hitting the Enter key press Ctrl+Shift + Enter You will be prompted with the obnoxious User Account Control dialog… but it will then open up a command prompt in Administrator mode...then type in sfc /scannow

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /

or

If you don't have Windows CD...

click on Start... then Run
type in regedit and press enter

Navigate to the following key...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

you want ... SourcePath

It has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now reboot your computer and try sfc /scannow again...