Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NETGEAR 54Mbps Wireless Router WGR614 v6

• Please log in to reply

Gothicarna

Gothicarna

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a NETGEAR 54Mbps Wireless Router WGR614 v6.

What I am wanting to do is to configure it so I can use it as an access point so I can play games online via my PSP and NDS but still be able to use the Internet whilst doing so.

How would I go about doing this? The router is installed and I get a signal and when I plug it into my laptop an Internet Gateway comes up but after a few minutes my whole Internet disconnects.

I am using a Vodafone USB to connect to the internet and I don't have access to any other connection.

Any help with this would be much appreciated as I am not familiar with this kind of thing.

Thanking you in advance :)

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You will need a second router to do so and some pretty advanced configuration such as disabling DCHP, assigning an manual IP to the WAP outside of the first routers scope, etc.

My suggestion would be to just simply purchase a WAP. An example of one here

Gothicarna

Gothicarna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've been told that it can be done but it has to go from like this:

USB --> Laptop --> Router

If that makes any sense.

It's supposed to be quite complicated but doable.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Save yourself the headache.

Gothicarna

Gothicarna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Save yourself the headache.

Right now I am unable to afford a new modem so if it can be done this way I would like to know how please.

When I have some more money in the future I will be buying a 3G modem but until then this is all I have.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You would need to setup IP forwarding, DHCP, and DNS services on your machine. Since you are probably not using a server OS, you would need to download 3rd party software to setup DHCP and DNS which all cost money and will probably cost more then purchasing a WAP.

I found this you can probably check out. Not bad for $20.

Gothicarna

Gothicarna

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

You would need to setup IP forwarding, DHCP, and DNS services on your machine. Since you are probably not using a server OS, you would need to download 3rd party software to setup DHCP and DNS which all cost money and will probably cost more then purchasing a WAP.

I found this you can probably check out. Not bad for $20.

I can just get the software I need off a friend I know who has it. But yeah not a bad buy I just wish I had the money to spare.