Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nvcpl.dll error when watching DVD's

• Please log in to reply

ffjwhite

ffjwhite

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey everyone. I am in need of some help. Every time I go to watch a DVD on my laptop, the program crashes. Now I am trying to use Windows Media Player 11 and InterVideo Software with MPEG-2 Decoders, and I am getting an error message that says the nvcpl.dll is the cause of the crash. This is the Picture of the error message.

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• error.JPG

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Do you know what video card you have and can you provide system specs, such as PC manufacturer and model number? Typically these problems can be solved with a driver update.

ffjwhite

ffjwhite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I am running a Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M In a Dell Latitude D620. Now I already tried an driver update and have gone through the process and when I check the Driver details it still didnt work.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Have you tried the driver listed on Dell's website? I found it here. Just make sure you choose the Nvidia driver and not the Intel one.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 24 May 2010 - 12:36 PM.

ffjwhite

ffjwhite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, that is the one I used. It seems to go through the installation process and even asks me to restart the computer and when I do it still have the old drivers in there. I hope to get this working cause I had to pay for the MPEG-2 software.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First, uninstall the NVIDIA drivers (if they are still installed) using Add or Remove Programs. You can get to Add or Remove Programs by clicking on the Start Button, then clicking on Control Panel. Then click Add or Remove Programs. Once in Add or Remove Programs, you need to find NVIDIA Drivers and click Change/Remove. (If you have an NVIDIA chipset, make sure the NVIDIA Display Driver checkbox is checked, then click Remove. Otherwise, just click Yes.)

Next, please download and install Driver Sweeper from here. (Click on the Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Then, boot the computer into safe mode. To do this,
  • Turn the computer on (or restart the computer if it is already on).
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in safe mode.
Next, open the program, Guru3D Driver Sweeper, that you just installed. Check the checkbox for cleaning NVIDIA - Display drivers. Then press the Clean button.

Download the newest drivers for your video card located Go Here for Nvidia drivers.
Supply the requested information in the drop down windows. It will scan your system and then should give you the newest driver for your video card. Download\Install that and then it should prompt you to reboot.
If not I suggest you do just to make sure the changes take affect.

Thanks to Stettybet0 for the instructions

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
rshaffer, you're so much better at putting together these directions than I am and much more efficient. :)

I would have went in a different direction for removing the old drivers, but it wouldn't have been near as efficient and user friendly. :)

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

rshaffer, you're so much better at putting together these directions than I am and much more efficient. :)

I would have went in a different direction for removing the old drivers, but it wouldn't have been near as efficient and user friendly. :)

Its a canned speech.

The guru3d driver app is a nice automated tool to cleanup drivers and more more user friendly i agree.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The use of the instructions is for everyones benefit. It makes steps easier to post and faster for all concerned. I'm not sure why it would be a issue with anyone who is a member of this site as we all are here to help.
I apologize for trying to help and good luck.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
No one's knocking it, just stating the facts.

Advertisements

ffjwhite

ffjwhite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well after doing the above steps, I am still getting that error message. My drivers say the date of them is 2008 which on the website the release date is 2009. So I am not sure what is going on but its starting to tick me off. Any other help guys?

Also I am not getting a nvmctray.ddl error on windows start up.

Edited by ffjwhite, 25 May 2010 - 07:55 AM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

The use of the instructions is for everyones benefit. It makes steps easier to post and faster for all concerned. I'm not sure why it would be a issue with anyone who is a member of this site as we all are here to help.
I apologize for trying to help and good luck.

I think you might have misunderstood my post. It was actually a compliment for being very good at what you do and providing excellent troubleshooting advice. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 25 May 2010 - 08:33 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope no misunderstanding as I was just clarifying the use of the instructions.

ffjwhite

ffjwhite

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So no one has any info on this?

pcs365_2

pcs365_2

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,

I searched microsoft.com for the latest and greatest in terms of this DLL, and I found it in:

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

This installs not only the latest OLEAUT32.DLL but all other related DLLs, just in case. Because this comes directly from microsoft.com, it is highly recommended that you install this. It certainly fixed my problems

Edited by pcs365_2, 27 May 2010 - 10:05 AM.