Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell laptop asks for security pin number on router when trying to conn

• Please log in to reply

JBow747

JBow747

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
My dell laptop with Vista asks for the security pin number on my WGR614v8 netgear wireless router
when I try to connect to my home network and then when the number is entered and I try to connect
it tells me that the security number is not valid.

I have two other dell laptops with windows 7 and they didn't ask for the security pin when connecting
to the wireless network.

Please help,
Jerry

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The only security I can think of in relation to wireless is the 'encryption key', not a pin as you call it.
You can determine the correct key by using one of the other laptops to log on to the router's configuration manager: Open a web browser and in the address bar type http://192.168.0.1

The default login is User = admin, Password = password

Click on 'Wireless Settings" on the left & the wireless encryption key is shown at bottom of page.

JBow747

JBow747

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
The computer also asks for the encryption key when I try to connect.

Jerry

geekhelp4u

geekhelp4u

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
You can find the AP WPS PIN of WGR614v8 on the product label. The product label is located at the bottom of the router. On the label, you can find an 8-digit number marked as Security PIN, and that is the AP’s WPS PIN.

JBow747

JBow747

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
The computer does not want to accept the 8-digit security pin on the bottom of the router,
it says it's an invalid number.