Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need a clean copy of Vista Home Premium

• Please log in to reply

bake

bake

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Anyone have a link to a clean copy of Vista Home Premium? My daughters laptop needs a fresh install but she has no idea where here operating system disk is. Not looking for a cracked version. Just need one I can use my legal product key with. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What is the make and model of the laptop?
Most recent laptops have a hidden recovery partition that allows the user to format and reinstall everything like it was when it first came from the manufacturer.
Depending on the make and model will depend on what key combination is needed to gain access to that partition.

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
It is a Toshiba Satellite A135. It would be awesome if there is a hidden recovery partition. There isn't one that i can see by looking at Computer. Thanks for any tips.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

As per the Toshiba website:

All Toshiba laptops ship with the ability to run the system recovery process from a hard disk partition, and software for creating recovery media is also bundled. Toshiba recommends creating recovery media to ensure the ability to run a system recovery even if the hard disk recovery partition is damaged or deleted, or if the hard disk breaks.

If you have lost the cd, you can get it from Toshiba for free.. there is just a small shipping and handling charge.

Murray

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Thanks Murray, I may have to call them tomorrow. I was just hoping I could find a download so I could get it done right away.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can try the following.
Toshiba:

To access the recovery partition do the following...
Power off the laptop.
Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears.
Start tapping the zero key repeatedly at this point.
Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears.
The screen should flash HDD RECOVERY MODE for a second and then it will load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.
Note that this erases all data, and reloads all factory default software.

bake

bake

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Thanks Rashaffer, that got me in to a recovery tool but it ask for disk one as soon as I started it. It is odd. There is no option on the laptop to create the recovery disks but I am sure they were never created for it. I guess I'll have to call Toshiba and get a disk from them.

Thanks again for the help.

Edited by bake, 25 May 2010 - 05:58 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep thats what I thought also but it is where you will have to start from once you get the disks.
As Murray S says contact Toshiba with the model number and they should be able to sell you the original recovery disk with OS and drivers for a minimal amount of cost.
You can start HERE in getting the correct recovery disks for your system.