Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broadband connection down after running combofix

• Please log in to reply

deemon

deemon

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey
Lost broadband connection and tried 3 fixes and can't run cmd in Windows XP. Don't have XP Home ed. disc - it was damaged. See forum http://www.geekstogo...18#entry1836818 for what has happened thus far. I hope I haven't really screwed this up.
Deemon

Advertisements

deemon

deemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I just got the run cmd to go in. Don't know what I did but I restarted it again and it accepted it. I will try the last suggested fix in other forum post. Will come back and let you know how it went.
Deemon

deemon

deemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I just tried the cmd in run window. Then ipconfig/release all Message Windows IP configuration An internal error occurred: The request is not suppported.
Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help. Additional information: unable to query host name.
Got the same response for ipconfig/renew all
Deemon

deemon

deemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
this is what I have after cmd
C:\Documents and Settings\Susan Hatcher>ipconfig/release all
Is that right?
Deemon

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Try these fixes, in order. If the first doesn't fix it, goto the next line.

netsh winsock reset catalog from the cmd line.

Start -> Run -> Services.msc -> Make sure Remote Procedure Call and Routing and Remote Access are started.

Fully reinstall TCP/IP. netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt from the command line followed by a reboot.

Edited by diabillic, 24 May 2010 - 06:05 PM.

deemon

deemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Services (local) came up and I tried to start remote procedure Call Locator got error 1068 The dependency service or group failed to start. RPC is started but Routing and Remote Acces is not started- don't know how to start did not allow. With general log on recovery and dependencies at top tabs. Says startup type is disabled.

deemon

deemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Should I try the Fully reinstall TCP/IP. netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt from the command line followed by a reboot too.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Did you try catalog reset first?

deemon

deemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I did netsh winsock reset catalog from the cmd line. THen Start -> Run -> Services.msc -> Make sure Remote Procedure Call and Routing and Remote Access are started. That is where I could not start Routing and Remote Access. I stopped there. Deemon

deemon

deemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Is Fully reinstall TCP/IP. netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt from the command line followed by a reboot the catalog reset?
Deemon

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Follow the last line.

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt then reboot

deemon

deemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
If Fully reinstall TCP/IP. netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt from the command line followed by a reboot. Is the catalog reset then no I have not done it yet. I stopped after the second line since I could not turn on the Routing and Remote Acces and it remains disabled.
Deemon

deemon

deemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Doing last line now.
Deemon

deemon

deemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
reboot done IE still not connecting.
Deemon

deemon

deemon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
When I try to connect using Network Connection under Control Panel. Get Error 797 message.
Deemon