Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Running old games

• Please log in to reply

dandima_nc

dandima_nc

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello

Can anyone help me? I wanted to play PowerF1, a game released almost ten years ago that was running perfectly on my old Windows 98 system. Now that I have XP SP2 when I launch the executable it runs OK, except for an extremely annonying sound coming from the inside of computer. I tried to disable the sound for the game, but I launched it and that noise didn't go away. When configuring sound for the game it detects succesfully a Sound Blaster or 100% compatible... I tried also to run the program in compatibility mode for Windows 95 but the noise is still there.
Can you please help me?

Thank you.
Dan

Advertisements

dandima_nc

dandima_nc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Please!!! Does anyone have any idea? At least tell me I have nothing to do than quit thinking about playing that game again under XP...

dandima_nc

dandima_nc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Please give an answer, whatever that is.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
have no idea what power f1 is.....can you illuminate that for us?

Sounds like a program is trying to control hardware and xp will not allow it.

the screeech noise is coming from....where? internal speaker?

dandima_nc

dandima_nc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello!

Power F1 is a game... an old one... a Formula 1 simulator which I liked most.

Yes, the noise is coming from the inside (I don't know... do computers have also internal speakers?), not from my desktop speakers.

Thank you!