Anyhow, I was able to run the laptop in safe mode, and I removed all my files. stupidly, I did a re-format before pursuing possible help options. so, now I cannot go beyond the splash screen, nor can I run it in safe mode as setup is not complete.
I should mention that this is a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ320P.
* Processsor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5600 1.83 GHz
* Screen Size: 13.3" WXGA (1280 x 800)
* Memory: 1 GB (512 MB x 2) / 2 GB (max)
* Hard Drive: 120 GB
* Optical Drive: DVD±RW (+R DL) / DVD-RAM
* Networking: Fast Ethernet 10/100, 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth, Wireless WAN Cellular
* Integrated Features: Biometric Fingerprint Sensor, Trusted Platform Module (TPM) TCG Ver.1.2 compliant
* Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition with SP2, (Windows Vista Premium Capable)
* Battery Life: 3.5 to 6 hours
* Weight: 4.1 lbs
* Warranty: One Year Limited
I am moderately computer literate, and can follow instructions when things get beyond my abilities on my own.
I assume that it passed POST as, after pressing a button combo, it recognizes my ram, cpu, hard drive, and CD-rom drive. BIOS wasn't much help after looking around in there. then it displays the Sony logo, and goes to the splash screen in an infinite loop.
What can I do to diagnose the problem?