Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP stuck at Splash Screen

• Please log in to reply

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
alright. I DL'd it, and am trying to run it. this is what I get as an error message or something

Hard Disk Diagnostic Tools.
[PMODE/W] Not Enough Memory Available!

Files Copied to R:\Tools\Seagate
Invalid Directory

and then I have options, but it only exits back to the main screen. What should I do?

Advertisements

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK. I swapped out my set of 1GB ram for 2GB and it worked. now, I am having a hard time finding out what hard drive I have, for whatever reason, parts are not listed in BIOS, and we have one other laptop like this. I ran a check on there, and only came back with a number, googled it, and it told me that it was a seagate. Ran Seagate test, told me it was a Toshiba, ran toshiba test, told me the HDD was defective. I'm not sure if thats hardware or software. checking now.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
You can run the IBM tool DFT. It will test all drives. Please post your results.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
It said

Operation completed successfully.
Disposition Code = 0x00

Edited by BlackJack999, 26 May 2010 - 03:19 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Run a long test now.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
That was both the fast and advanced test

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Let's try a memory test now. I don't think memory is an issue here, just want to rule it out.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
well, I just nuked the Hard Drive. Re-loading things as we speak. I did a Dod Short with 3 passes. It was recommended to me that I make 7 passes, but I want to see if this fixes the issue. if not, we should more than likely know that it is not the hard drive.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The Nuke didn't work, however I noticed that there we're two partitions that it did not hit. I am currently re-nuking the entire drive, including all partitions. hopefully this finally sets this thing back to all 0's...

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Use something like GParted and just delete the partitions.

Advertisements

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
OK. I nuked EVERYTHING. then Re-installed the OS. no such luck with that helping. Running that Memory test now. What could my problem be? Is there something stored in a memory cache on the CPU? I really feel like this is a software error, but with the Hard Drive (probably) out of the equation, it opens up a lot of possibilities.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I'm about out of ideas. I ran the memory test, everything came back fine. disabled the video card (ran VGA mode) it came back fine. ran tests on the CPU and motherboard, came back clean. I mean, I suppose I can run another nuke or something, but I really just don't know what I'm looking for. The only thing I can possibly think of, and its a long shot, is that the power supply is going. The only evidence I have of that is that I saw an article about mup.sys (yeah, its still having that problem) and a lot of people said that their power supplies we're going bad. so, where do we go from here?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are sticking on Mup.sys when booting in safe mode then as I said in post 7 the real only option is to format and do a fresh install of you OS.

Edited by rshaffer61, 28 May 2010 - 08:22 PM.

BlackJack999

BlackJack999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
TLDR, I did try re-installing the OS twice, still getting stuck on mup.sys. Nuked the Hard Drive completely, and then installed, with the same problem. Oh and just a heads up, I cannot get into safe mode anymore because I cannot complete the set up of my OS, as it hangs before i can get to that part...

Edited by BlackJack999, 28 May 2010 - 08:48 PM.

daeemann

daeemann

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Here's a website with more info dealing with this issue

http://www.aitechsol...tsysxphang.html