Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Temp File Cleaner stalls i.e. computer freezes

• Please log in to reply

Thoma

Thoma

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Something is causing my computer to sometimes freeze and to sometimes crash. I am running Windows XP. I had been using Internet Explorer 6.0 but recently upgraded to Explorer 7.0. Microsoft help $$ concluded that there was a conflict with Explorer 7.0 and AVG internet security. They advised that I remove AVG, which made the computer run better. If I reinstall AVG the computer crashes. I downloaded and ran TFC (Temp File Cleaner) It raced through the temporary files and then came to a screeching halt. Everything froze. I did a forced shut-down, the computer checked discs for errors and then XP restarted. What is the next step in removing the file that is causing the problems ?

Advertisements

Thoma

Thoma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The computer would freeze or crash when I ran certain applications. The frequency with which it crashed when I tried to print someting seemed to be increasing. I have an HP Laser Jet and an HP 4 in one machine. I uninstalled all of the HP software, some of which was from previous printers. After removing the HP software, the freeze/crash problems seem to be resolved. I have not yet reinstalled the HP software.