Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sasser Virus

• Please log in to reply

jacstuh

jacstuh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys i need of some real help a.s.a.p

I run windows xp home edition and my computer will not load past the "xp loading" screen. After that the screen goes black and a pop up window says "Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click ok to terminate." after that it just stays black but the computer is still on.

I am aware that this is a form of the Sasser virus, but i was wondering if there was someway to get rid of it through BIOS set up. if not do i have to do a system repair or reformat the system. also if i have to reformat, how do i get files off my computer onto an external hardrive before i reformat.

i am not that good with computer systems so in simple terms or step by step instructions would be much appreciated thanks guys.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Doesn't have to be the Sasser worm. Could be bad RAM, bad spot on the hard drive or a new driver or program that isn't right. Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? Reboot and when you see the maker's logo or it beeps of it says press F8 to enter Safe Mode start tapping the F8 key slowly. Keep tapping until you see the menu. Choose Safe Mode (the top option). Choose your usual login and see if it's able to boot all the way. If you make it that far then:

Start, (All) Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt (Vista => right click and select Run As Administrator). Type (with an Enter after the line:

msconfig

Under Startup tab, uncheck everything. Under Services, click on Hide Microsoft services then uncheck everything. OK and reboot. See if it will get into regular mode now. If it does one of the programs you unchecked is the problem and you just have to keep going back in to msconfig and turning 1/2 of them on at a time until you find the culprit then uninstall it.

There is a nice program from Avira that you can use to scan your hard drive for viruses even if you can't boot into windows. I believe it also let's you recover your data. You will have to have a friend burn a bootable CD for you then (after changing the boot order in the BIOS setup so that it looks at the CD/DVD drive first) boot from the CD.Download this file and save it:

http://dlpro.antivir...m-common-en.iso

Then Burn Image or Copy from CD depending on the burn program they have.

Instructions here:

http://www.techmixer...us-and-malware/

Ron