Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS + CHIPSET DRIVERS

• Please log in to reply

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, just a reminder.

When you do a fresh install of Windows it will install Chipset Drivers ( mobo etc. )

To save many problems after Windows has installed you should Download & Install all Chipset Drivers from the Manufactures website.

This problem was down to Chipset Driver.

http://www.geekstogo...ue-t277641.html

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

When you do a fresh install of Windows it will install Chipset Drivers ( mobo etc. )

Ummm, you left out the most significant word - "NOT" - Windows will NOT install chipset drivers - in fact, it will not install any special drivers, except generic drivers.

And actually, to solve many problems you should download the drivers, not just for your motherboard, but for all your devices BEFORE reinstalling Windows so they will be on hand. You should also download and have on hand, the latest versions your security programs. Then you can disconnect from the Internet, and install Windows, then update your drivers and setup your security without having to worry about a network connection, or more importantly, being exposed to security threats without a security solution in place.

deggitt

deggitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Good post DIGERATI, thanks for expanding on the subject.

Yes, GENERIC drivers are installed, hence people can get problems.

Hope people take notice

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Yes, GENERIC drivers are installed, hence people can get problems.

Well, they should not get "problems" but generic drivers won't drive the higher resolutions for your graphics, for example, or may run your 1Gb network connection at just 10Mb. Sound may not work. The generic drivers native to Windows are designed to get you running, so you can at least see something on the monitor and "read" from your optical Read/Writers.

The main point, however is to do your homework, and prepare before reinstalling.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I downloaded the latest drivers (chipset, network, sound, video ect) and slipstreamed them into my XP Pro set up cd so if I have to reinstall XP it saves me lots of time. If newer drivers have been issued I update them but I have at least none of the generic windows drivers right after my fresh install.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yeah, a lot of people seem to have problems setting up a slipstream disk, but you are right, using a slipstreamed disk is a lot easier. As you mentioned, you just need to remember to create a new one after installing updated drivers, or changing hardware.