Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows Update keeps wanting to install net framework

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Windows update keeps wanting to install:
Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack Security update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP (KB974417)
I click to have it installed, it says installation successfull, then a minute later, the gold shield appears again in my system bar and says it needs to be installed. I went to windows update site and told it to check for updates and it's been checking for almost 24 hours straight now.
How do I get this update to install properly and go away?

I have Windows XP.

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Download and run the .net framework cleanup utility from the following website:

It will remove all versions of .net from your machine

Next - cleanup windows updates by downloading and running dial-a-fix:

When this completes - download and install the .net framework:

When this completes - run windows updates and let us know if it is acting normal again!

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It may be just a Windows restart is all that's needed to complete the installation, so give that a try.
If still not successful I would turn off automatic updates completely and use it manually only when it suits you or you can't get a device to work for lack of a driver.

It's not unknown for an automatic update to sometimes cause more problems than it solves, and in any case it will also install stuff you don't need just because Microsoft has detected that you don't have it and they think you ought to have it. Update manually in future so you are in full control of what gets installed. The PC belongs to you, not Bill Gates!