Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop internal drive data transfer

• Please log in to reply

springmellon

springmellon

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I would appreciate any help with the following.

I have two Toshiba Tecra 9100s. One is complete, has a hard drive installed and is running windows XP absolutely fine. I recently bought the second Tecra without a hard drive, and I am intending to buy a second hand hard drive for it from ebay. I assume that this drive will have been wiped. I need to know how I can get it up and running in the new Tecra with Windows XP installed.

I have an original copy of Windows XP, and there is a authentic licence key on bottom of the new Tecra for windows XP, so I would think that there shouldn't be a problem getting this going.

What I need help with, is how to get the new Tecra to the position of installing Windows XP. I don't have any of the original disks that probably came with Tecra 9100s, so how do I get it to point where windows can be installed.

I am trying to do this inexpensively, and my first thought was that the necessry files must be contained on my original Tecra's hard drive. If this is the case, would there be a way of burning these files on to a CD and using to boot up the new Tecra, and then install windows XP.

Incidentally, and probably not relevant, when I plug the hard drive from my original Tecra into the new one it all works fine and windows XP boots successfully.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Springmellon

Advertisements

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi, as your drive works ok in it you could CLONE it :)

or PM me, I have new set of 9100 install disks that I don't use. I have .ISO files of these disks anyway

springmellon

springmellon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for replying. I had a look on youtube and there is quite a lot of stuff on there about cloning the hard drive. However, it seems that I would have to buy a kit to be able to, firstly, connect the old hard drive to my pc and copy and save all the files, and then, connect the new hard drive to the pc and transfer the saved data to it.
I am trying to do this cheaply without buying anything but the new hard drive. Is this right in respect of cloning?

As to the install disks you mentioned, here is where I'm a fuzzy. When I turn The new Tecra without a hard drive it says

"Intel ® Boot Agent Version 4.0.10
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Existing Intel PXE ROM
Insert Sytem disk in drive and press any key when ready"

I presume the first part of this relates to the absence of the hard drive?
However, as you know, I can access the Tecra's set up screen and tell it to go to CD drive first. I am unsure whether if I did this, and then put the windows XP disk in the drive, it would then start the windows XP installation procedure. This can't be right, can it? The Tecra wouldn't have the necessary drivers etc with which to go through this proceedure.

Am right in thinking then that I would need the install disks you mentioned? Once these install disks are installed what does the Tecra then display?

How would I be able to get the disks - could I download them and burn them to a CD?

Again, thanks for your help
springmellon

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Hi, as your drive works ok in it you could CLONE it :)

or PM me, I have new set of 9100 install disks that I don't use. I have .ISO files of these disks anyway

Deggitt, This is against the Microsoft EULA and therefore against the TOS here. Microsoft does not allow for the distribution of installation media in the method that you're describing.

and TECHNICALLY, since these are Toshiba supplied restoration disks (and not microsoft disks) it's a violation of the Toshiba EULA to use the disks on another machine (even if it is the same machine)