Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processors

• Please log in to reply

jake petre

jake petre

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I was looking into builiding my own computer at some point during 2010 and im only initially at
a very primative stage and I was wondering about Processors, i know a fair bit about hyper-threading
and multi-core but i have few questions.

What would be better?

Single core @3.0Ghz
Dual core @ 2.7
Triple core @2.5
Quad core @ 2.2

And are hyperthreaded Pentium 4's as relaible\effective as dual core pentium 4's

Thanks all,
Jake
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by a...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ignore the clock speeds, they mean nothing anymore.
A dual-core machine is the ideal minimum, however depending on what you want to do with the system will determine whether you ultimately opt for a dual, a triple or a quad. Ideally you shouldn't buy single-core now when you can get dual for very little extra.

With regards to hyper-threading, all Hyper-threading is is virtual cores and Windows would see two cores for every single core. Therefore if you were to go for a quad-core processor that supports hyper-threading and you had the option on, Windows would "see" 8 processors, four of which are virtual. As to whether it's better again depends on the software, some love it and others actually perform worse.

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
I personally think hyper threading is a terrible idea; it makes processors run quite a bit hotter (or so I believe; apparently the 3GHz version of the Prescott P4 HT has an 84w TDP, which if one thinks about it is unbelievably high for a single core - I mean really, there are quad cores that have a TDP only slightly higher!).

But yeah at minimum a two physical core processor is your best bet - the more cores the better, really. What processors are you looking at, specifically?