Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updating to new versions of applications

• Please log in to reply

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Good afternoon. I downloaded Avast! Antivirus from download.com a while ago (along with other things). Every once in a while, I get an e-mail message from download.com telling me that "a new version" of Avast! is available. So, of course I want the new version of the program since anti-viral programs are important. My question is: Do I have to uninstall the old version of Avast! first or when I download the new version, will the newer program "see" that I have the old version and "update" it automatically? Do I have to do this for any other programs I have downloaded also? Thanks in advance for your reply! :)

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
CompaqBabe-

First off- go Buffalo. :)

When you install new versions of old programs, you generally don't have to uninstall the old version. The new version installs over the already-in-place program.

Go ahead and download/install the new avast!, and whatever else you need.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to assist you :)

pcs365_11

pcs365_11

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
It's always recommended to download any application or software from official site (http://www.avast.com...ivirus-download). In order to stop mails you can eiether unsubscribe or un install completely and download from avast.com and install it.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The best way to update the Avast! program is from within Avast! itself. Open the Avast application Window, click "Maintenance" then "Update Program". That removes any doubts you may have had about updating properly, and it's a quick way to find out if you've got the latest version.