Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Movies with black stripes up/bottom

• Please log in to reply

shadarwafel

shadarwafel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey there ! When I watch a movie on my laptop it has those black stripes in the up and bottom of the screen. The thing is to remove them and have a fullscreen , clear view of a movie ,keeping all the proportions in a place ( no stretching or anything). Now , on my PC it was the same thing until I've unknowingly downloaded some kind of codec or something. Since then ALL the movies were in fullscreen , not a single black stripe .Unfortunately I'm abroad at the moment and I'm not comming back in a long time ,so I have no access to my PC .
Please , someone has to know the name of a codec/program ,w/e that removes those stripes. I'm not much into computers and stuff but maybe this codec was converting the 4;3 and 16;9 proportion so every movie was played in a fullscreen . Anyway , as I said ,I'm a computer noob , but such a thing exists and I would be very grateful if anyone could help me out as so far I haven't found a solution to my problem .

Cheers guys ,thank u in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depending on how the movie has been encoded, the black bars may be intentional.

If you frame a widescreen picture for a 4:3 (ie non-widescreen) picture, the correct way to treat it is to letterbox it - black bars top and bottom. If you then play it on a 4:3 setup, it will look correct. If you play it in widescreen you'll end up with a floating picture in the middle of the screen.

However if your video was encoded in 16:9 format, playing it on any correctly set up widescreen TV will fill the screen automatically.

Professionally cut DVDs are in the format called Anamorphic. A DVD labeled as "Widescreen Anamorphic" (os similar) is one that offers the option to display a widescreen film as either a distorted horizontally squeezed image that fills the entire screen on a standard format television, or in the un-distorted widescreen letterbox format (with black areas on the top and bottom) by selecting the desired setting on the DVD's start-up menu. That is to say, the setting of the player affects what you see.