Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP seems to not run .exe files Avast or 3D drafting

• Please log in to reply

Olderthandirt

Olderthandirt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi !
My XP on older Dell Lat lost mains and when it came back on (cold boot) it lost my Avast home 4.8.0 and I tried to run a 3d drafting prog from my USB stick, and it would not launch. I tried the stick on one of my other older Dell Lat Laptops, and it ran just fine. I am using the sick puppy (Dell Lat with problems) just now so it is not ready to be taken out and shot.
I removed the Avast and downloaded a "fresh" copy. It was the 5.0 and would not run. I downloaded to desk top and then installed and tried to run, no go. I have installed and removed this prog at least 10 times with no joy. I even downloaded the 4.8.0 again but, no go either. I tried to go back and restore from a month ago, it won't let me do that either. I have downloaded and run numerous prog (a few from this site) but none show any sypware, trogan or any thing else that would cause this. In fact, most show that this thing is working just fine :) Sooo, anyone have any ideas as to what (besides craning up the CPU to warp factor 17 and sitting with a Schooner beer to see what happens ?!!)
I can read and I can run "repair" software but, I don't know the guts well enough to be able to trouble shoot this odd one. Anyone haveing a bit more know how and imagination who is willing to share, it would be appreciated !
Thanx in advance
OTD

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Check the Event Viewer System logs see what error is recorded

Olderthandirt

Olderthandirt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanx V much. I checked and found nothing that jumped out.
Seems that Internet Expl crashed a few times and some picure viewer did the same.
All others turned out to be standard prog functions, as best as I was able to determine.
I didn't mention that I ran all the Mal ware suggestions and things are still the same.
Tempted to wipe out everything and reload XP. I tried to reload Avast and access is denied.
Also, seems a number of remote functions were turned on to auto and I was not able to turn them off, only disable them after a reboot. I was thinking it was an XP problem since my friend told me it wasn't working
correctly, after the power outage. Now I am leaning more towards some sort of Malware as I dig further.
Only thing is, nothing seems to be popping up. I did find one ad ware problem, but that was it and I removed that. Not too sure how to proceed form here.
Tnx again
OTD