Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

zip file

• Please log in to reply

mindydee113

mindydee113

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I just got my two sons, ages 9 and 6 each a new Gateway Netbook (or is it Notebook :) ). They run on Windows 7 operating system and are the 32 bit version. My question is, does anyone know of a free zip program that I could download and add to their computers? :) I have both winzip and winrar on my personal computer. A technician I had gone to put both of these programs on my computer for me, I'm not sure what the difference is between the two but I'm pretty sure they are both not free. Obviously my boys wont be doing much compressing of files, as they are so young. They don't even know what that is. I want the zip program on their computers "just in case" something comes up and they need it. As in receiving something that is zipped through e-mail and it needs to be un-zipped to view it. I had heard of a program called 7-zip (something like that) that I believe is free? Might that be any good? Would appreciate somebody recommending something decent, simply for zipping and unzipping, nothing fancy. Thanks! :)

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Are you using Windows XP on the computer that has the winzip and winrar on it?
Windows Vista and Windows 7 already have a program to unzip files already built in to the operating System package.
Some of the "free" programs are not legit so please use caution when downloading free programs. ( there is a section in this forum that can help, read the tutorials.)

mindydee113

mindydee113

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention in my post the my personal computer is running on XP. The new computers bought for my children are Windows 7. So I guess there is no need to download a zip program for the Windows 7. I had no idea that was already built in. Thanks for the reply. :)