Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External hard drive light stays on when PC is off

• Please log in to reply

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I have two identical portable seagate expansion hard drives connected to my Windows 7 PC. I've noticed that when I shut down my PC at night, the drive light goes out on one of these drives (as it should do), but the other drive stays lit up and I can hear (and feel) the drive continuing to spin. Even after 5 minutes it's still lit up and merrily spinning away.

I have to remember to disconnect it otherwise it would be spinning all night, causing unecessary wear on the drive spindle.

What's really puzzling me is one drive gets switched off at shutdown but the other one doesn't, even though both drives are identical and attached to the same desktop USB hub?

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 26 May 2010 - 04:47 AM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
That is an odd one. I wonder if it will work if you disconnect the one that is working, and plug the misbehaving drive in that USB port? The signal to shut down comes from the computer - I wonder if the hub is not interfering with that signal.

I am just tossing out guesses.

Are both enclosures powered the same way too?

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The enclosures are portable (no mains power connector required), but the hub to which both enclosures are connected is itself is mains-powered to ensure that there's sufficient power available when it's fully populated with usb-powered devices.

I'll try your suggestion to swap over the drives in the the hub as it may indeed be a hub issue rather than the drive itself. thanks.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 26 May 2010 - 02:01 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Keep us posted.