Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chrome/Firefox Crashes at Startup; Other browsers have Redirect

• Please log in to reply

rontime

rontime

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having a weird problem with my browsers and I am not sure where to go. I have already gone through all the steps the browsers help pages directed me to do. and there is no change. I have reinstalled both chrome and firefox and the problem of crashing still occurs. Either it will open up as a white page and will continue loading untill it crashes or it will automatically become unresponsive soon as it opens. Firefox is at the point where it doesn't even completely load now. When I click on it I can see in task manager that it stays a low memory around 10,000k no matter how long I wait. This problem just occured today. I am currently using IE. I have already ran avg and malwarebytes. There were some infected files and I moved those to chest. but the problem is the same.

IE and Safari work fine for me. Except the fact I hate them. But now I am noticing a search redirect that is infected on both browsers. Any time I directly click on a hyperlink of a search it takes me to some useless alternative search engine, a weird ad page or an ebay.co.uk page.

It seems like it has to me a type of malware or something, definitely for the redirect but for the crashing I have no idea..

I appreciate anyone who is willing to take the time to help me with this problem. thanks.

-Ron

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.