Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to internet after reformat

• Please log in to reply

crykal

crykal

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, I hope I can find some help here. I am getting desperate! I just reformmated my hard drive due to a nasty virus. I have a DELL Dimension 2400 desktop system. I am not new to reformatting, I did it over 2 years ago on the same computer and had no complications whatsover. However, for some reason after this reformat, my internet connection is not working. I used the original XP sp 2 disc with product code and assumed all the drivers are on there for the network adaptor that is on my computer. I have even used the tools cd that came with the computer and it detects the network when I run that CD. I have checked my device manager and there are yellow marks beside the network and some other objects. I have tried enabling them/uninstalling-reinstalling/disable everything. I even tried installing my wiress connection via a usb port, but it still cant connect to the internet. I called AT&T my service provider but they wouldnt help because I am using a netgear modem router. And I called Netgear but they wouldnt help because I am past warranty period. But, none of that matters because I know its not a problem with the internet istself or the modem because I am on another computer in the house just fine...thats how I am sending this post. My problem is this...everything I read tells me to download drivers again. But, how can I download drivers when I can't get on the internet from that computer? I tried saving the driver to a mass storage device or burning it to cd but neither plan worked...when I tried to open it up on the messed up computer it would not recognize the program?? I really feel like an idiot, but I need help...someone please respond.. Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try going HERE for the original 2400 drivers for your system. Expand the [bNetwork[/b] field and you will find sevral drivers and programs. If your nic is built onboard then one of the first two should work.
Copy them to a cd and then copy them to the desktop on the 2400. Uninstall the nic in device manger and reboot. When it asks where to look for the driver point it to the driver you just put on your desktop.

Edited by rshaffer61, 26 May 2010 - 02:08 PM.

crykal

crykal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for the quick response rshaffer61... yes, I have been to this site before I even put my product service code in, downloaded the drivers to CD, but that didnt work for some reason. I also tried downloading to mass storage device, but it said it didn't know what program to use to open it, and wouldn't let me download to broken computer... Is there anything else I can do? I am getting really frustrated and just about ready to take it somewhere to get fixed but will probably wound up kicking myself because it is probably a simple solution that I just can't figure out and I will have to pay someone else a lot of money for little work. If you or anyone else has suggestions about what I am doing wrong please let me know, thanks so much

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Normally you don't install a driver. You go to Device manager, right click on the device that shows yellow exclamation mark.
Then click on update driver. A new window will open asking where to look...Online, HD or specific location.
Chose the specific location and then point it to where you have the newly downloaded driver be that on your desktop or on a cd.

crykal

crykal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok I am going to go try it be back in a bit to let you know what happens.. thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 7 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

ruivhet

ruivhet

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi! Is that also applicable to laptop? I'm also having the same problem now. Can I install the drivers directly to a flash drive and copy it the laptop then it's fine? Please help. Thanks!